What's new

Bi-Amping Question (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I have a pair of Klipsch RF3II's and am interested in bi-amping them. I am using my Marantz receiver as a pre-amp with a Parasound 5 channel amp. Can i use the 2 front channels of my receivers amp to bi-amp the speakers? I am not using them now so i figured i could use them to power the woofers and the Parasound to power the tweeters. Has anyone here bi-amped the rf3II's? Should i just bi-wire instead. Suggestions/comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dalton, I am not too familiar with your equipment, but you should be able to biamp. I would try using the Marantz receiver for the tweeters and the Parasound power amp for the drivers/subwoofers though. The warm sound of the Marantz receiver may help the treble, while the Parasound amp, which I assume offers more power than the Marantz receiver, should help the bass. In any event, you should be able to connect the tweeter binding posts on your speakers to the Marantz receiver and the driver/subwoofer binding posts to the Parasound amp.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

JohanK

Second Unit
The sound may be disjointed if the gain from the Parasound and Marantz amps vary enough. It may be wiser to use 4 channels of the Parasound to biamp the fronts and use the Marantz for the rear surrounds. Try it to see what happens.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
JohanK, I forgot to mention the issue of matching the gains between amps. Thanks for bringing that up. Even if the gains were matched between the Marantz receiver and Parasound amp, they may not be a good sonic match. That would obviously have to be tested. In matching the gains, it would help if the Marantz receiver has a volume control for the pre-outs. My NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp has a volume control for pre-out 2 to faciliate biamping with a non-NAD power amp. In any event, I was not aware that the Parasound amp could be used alone to biamp the mains.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks guys! I am going to try Johan's suggestion to bi-amp with the Parasound and use the Marantz for the rears. I'll report my findings. Thanks again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks