What's new

BFI's Fifty Films a Child should see by Age 14 (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the oddest choice to me is Etre et Avoir aka "To Be And To Have" which is a documentary concerning a teacher in rural France and the one-room schoolhouse type setting he teaches in. While somewhat interesting, I can't see this as somehow essential for kids to see when it would likely lack any relevancy to them (besides the setting, most of the kids seem to be low achievers and the film concentrates more on the teacher than the students).

I have less of a problem with Walkabout than I do with Whale Rider which I thought was only ok. If one needs another modern fairy tale to replace it, I would pick The Secret Of Roan Inish.

Both Beauty and the Beast films seems redundant though both certainly have their merits.

I think the list also has too many new films. Seems more than a bit presumptious to label an eye candy trifle like Nemo or even a competent historical film like Rabbit Proof Fence as essential.

Imitation of Life is a good choice Linda. I would have liked to see the Iranian film Children of Heaven, Searching For Bobby Fisher, and the list could use a sports movie like The Bad News Bears or even better, Hoop Dreams, a glaring omission from this list.

It didn't occur to me to show the kids Le Voyage dans la lune . I'll correct that for sure.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Far better than Imitation of Life, would be Roots. And Finding Nemo is no less a reasonable choice as essential than Spirited Away or many of the other films on this list, IMO.

I do agree with socially relevant films like 12 Angry Men, and would add ones like In the Heat of the Night, Seven Days In May (a lesson about what America is really all about that lots of people should be reminded of these days), Schindler's List (but only for the ones nearing 14), Bad Day at Black Rock, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Where's "Never Ending Story"?.
Every thing ranks behind "The Wizard of Oz" in my adult opinion but Never Ending Story would rank #2.
I've seen more than several on the list and as some have already stated- many are less memorable or not particulary suited for children.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

To be honest, I'd rather them read the book, which is better. The movie is a decent enough adaptation of half the book, but it is only half the book...

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks