What's new

Best bang for the $- 2ch,3ch or 5 ch amp (1 Viewer)

RonW

Grip
I just purchased a Denon 3803 to drive my B&W matrix 803 fronts, a matrix HTM center and Boston Acoustic T830 for the surrounds.A HSU Research vtf-2 completes the system. I have some extra cash ($600) and am thinking about buying an additional amp . My question is would i get the best sound boost with a 2,3or5 channel amp. I am planning to buy used. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ron

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
there are not going to be a lot of 5 channel amp choices in the $500 range...

I would target a good 2-channel...should free up some power from your receivers amps for the sides/center...

here is a 3 channel amp, a little out of your price range:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ult&1073067665

here is another interesting adcom:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ran&1070841228

you could also get a refurbed nad c270 at spearitsound.com for $450....

here is a rotel amp on ebay that looks interesting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39783

i would look to see if i could find a good deal on a rotel 1080...

Rich

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I would go with monoblocks, maybe Marantz or Outlaw.
I second Pablo's recommendation. Try a pair of Marantz MA500 monoblocks. I have 5 of 'em...they rock and are a great bang for the buck. You should be able to get 2 for around $280-$300.

Yogi

Screenwriter
A 2 ch amp would give you the best bang for the buck. Plenly of good used amps on Audiogon for less than $600. Best of luck.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, what do you feel is the weak point of your current system? Do you have a very large room where you are not getting the volume you want from any of the channels? If so, you probably need the 5 X 200W amp, and a larger budget. If you have all the volume you need, but just want some additional clarity, at high volume, then a 2 or 3 ch amp will do. Get a 3 ch if your pref is HT, to keep the front soundfield the same. Get the 2 channel, if you lean toward stereo music. There are many more used 2 ch amps available, and consequently better pricing.

JohnS

RonW

Grip
John- the volume is not the problem at all. I feel that the B&W mains need more power to fully reveal their sound. Since I do listen to HT a lot, the question is whether it is really vital to have the center channel (also a B&W but of course much smaller than the mains) on the same amp as the mains. I know ideally that would be the case but from a budget viewpoint I think I could get a better two channel amp for the same dollar amount vs a three channel. For instance a Bryston 3B for around $600 or an Adcom 5503 for about the same or even a bit more. Any thoughts?

Ron and Pablo- Thanks for the input about the Marantz mono's / I'll look into them.
Thanks

Ron

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, What are the current calibrated settings for the front channels? If center is set lower than the mains, then you will probably be OK with external 2 channel. Just want to make sure that if you go with an amp with more gain than your receiver amp, you can still calibrate all three channels to the same level.

From my experience with a HK520 and Adcom 2 channel amp, I was unable to tell any difference, still using the HK for center. But, you will read a number of posts from people that say, amps have their own sound.

JohnS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks