What's new

Being the Ricardos (2021) (1 Viewer)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
If the blu-ray extras don't include a snippet of Bardem saying "you got a lot of explainin' to do, friendo" I will be very disappointed.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I watched re-runs of I Love Lucy a lot when I was a kid in the early to mid-1970s. That was starting 50 years ago, and I've only watched it a few times since 1980, but I'm still interested in seeing this. Looks like it might be good.

I remember being shocked when I saw Lucille Ball in a TV interview in the late 70s. The person behind the show from 25 years before was not just older, but rather cynical and bitter, and in that interview not really funny at all. She was retiring from show biz, and was asked if her audience would miss her, and she said something like, "I don't think they will notice at all." I wanted to say to the TV, "I'll notice!" But at the same time she did seem ready for retirement.

Lucille Ball was a smart businesswoman. When she asked for I Love Lucy in 1951 to be filmed with 35mm cameras, the network said that's not needed—no one will care after the first showing. She insisted, but the network said it costs too much. Iirc, she and Desi paid for the 35mm filming of the show themselves, but then insisted that they owned the negatives and rights for rebroadcast—and thus the re-run was born, earning her a fortune. With that fortune she built her own small Hollywood studio, and in 1964-1966, when no other studio would give Star Trek much of a chance, she personally overruled her fellow executives at Desilu to put Star Trek on the air. Without her we might not have Star Trek.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I remember being shocked when I saw Lucille Ball in a TV interview in the late 70s. The person behind the show from 25 years before was not just older, but rather cynical and bitter, and in that interview not really funny at all. She was retiring from show biz, and was asked if her audience would miss her, and she said something like, "I don't think they will notice at all." I wanted to say to the TV, "I notice!" But at the same time she did seem due for retirement.
First, I have no personal experience in Hollywood, only what I’ve read. There could be a couple of reasons for her bitterness. One, you get old and cranky and it’s easy to go that way, I hope I don’t (Hey, you kids, get off my lawn). Two, I’m of the opinion that Hollywood has a short memory and often forgets those who came before them.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Sorkin mentioned that there are 3 flashpoints that actually happened to Lucy and Desi during the run of "I Love Lucy" that are condensed to happen in the same week for the movie. My guess for the 3 flashpoints are
1. Lucille Ball accused of being a Communist.
2. Confidential Magazine outing Desi's infidelities' in an article called " Does Desi love Lucy" ( seen in the teaser trailer.)
3. Desi buys the RKO lot. ( Happened after I Love Lucy but during 1st season of "The Lucy- Desi Comedy Hour. ) Desi sold the rights to "I Love Lucy" back to CBS to get the money to buy RKO. That is why CBS owns "I Love Lucy" today and why CBS made a mint selling this show for 70 years.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Poster

being-the-ricardos-amazon-prime-video-158506.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Does anybody actually know which theaters will be booking this? I haven't seen it listed on the schedule of coming attractions at any of my normal places yet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody actually know which theaters will be booking this? I haven't seen it listed on the schedule of coming attractions at any of my normal places yet.
Are there any theaters near you that played other Netflix movies? There's an independent theater near me that played The Irishman, Mank, etc. and I expect them to play this too but I wouldn't expect to see it playing any chain theaters.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Most theaters near me are playing it twice a day rather than continously . Like a movie late in its run where its shaing a theater with another movie.

If you google "Being the Ricardos Showtimes " and your computer allows your location to be discoverable or enter your zip code when asked, you should find any theaters near you that are showing this film.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
The AMC Theater near me will be showing it for 5 days, three showings a day, beginning Dec 10. I found the listing on Fandango. That is the only theater in my area showing it, however.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm really surprised that a chain is playing this.
Cinemark also has a deal with Netflix to screen their movies now on a limited basis.

Being the Ricardos is an Amazon movie, and Amazon has been friendly with the chains in the past pre-pandemic when a lot of movies from them got exclusive theatrical windows. But I think the pandemic has changed a lot of things. If the theaters are willing to screen Warner Bros. films that have no theatrical window this year, they should be willing to work with Amazon. According to the trailer, this will start in theaters on December 10 and go to Amazon Prime on December 21. That's an 11 day window, which is very short but more than Warner Bros. is giving now. I really don't think there is a downside to theaters booking this, although its release is likely to be more limited.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cinemark also has a deal with Netflix to screen their movies now on a limited basis.

Being the Ricardos is an Amazon movie, and Amazon has been friendly with the chains in the past pre-pandemic when a lot of movies from them got exclusive theatrical windows. But I think the pandemic has changed a lot of things. If the theaters are willing to screen Warner Bros. films that have no theatrical window this year, they should be willing to work with Amazon. According to the trailer, this will start in theaters on December 10 and go to Amazon Prime on December 21. That's an 11 day window, which is very short but more than Warner Bros. is giving now. I really don't think there is a downside to theaters booking this, although its release is likely to be more limited.
Yeah, I was talking to a friend yesterday and mentioned it was a Netflix movie and he corrected me to my surprise. I know theater chains have played Amazon movies before but has Amazon released any movies since the pandemic 'ended'? I'm wondering if Ricardos will be the new standard for Amazon movies (limited theatrical chain release before hitting Amazon) or if this is more of a one-off due to the high profile talent like Kidman and Sorkin.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
If anyone out there has a audible, this is one of their "free" books right now, and I think It's pretty good. I'm looking forward to this movie. I want the theatrical experience if possible.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 9.38.32 AM.png

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I saw a clip on Colbert Wednesday night. All I can say is I hope its as good as it appears to be.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I know theater chains have played Amazon movies before but has Amazon released any movies since the pandemic 'ended'? I'm wondering if Ricardos will be the new standard for Amazon movies (limited theatrical chain release before hitting Amazon) or if this is more of a one-off due to the high profile talent like Kidman and Sorkin.
They've been doing this for a while now. It is important to note that Amazon Studios has had executive changes in the past couple years. In 2019, The Aeronauts with Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones played in theaters for a week before dropping on Prime. More recently, Annette with Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard opened in theaters on August 6 and dropped on Prime on August 20.

I'm sure I would enjoy seeing this in theaters. However, I also don't really mind the idea of watching a film that takes place behind the scenes of a television show on my television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks