What's new

Bad TV? Idiots at Philips? Bad Connection? (1 Viewer)

HowardPM

Agent
Real Name
Howard
I have a philips 34PW850H its a 34 inch HDTV Widescreen Tube. Anyways when watching stuff in thats in 4:3 ratio on my Philips TV the edges of the picture begin to wave/weave. Rather then being a straight edge down the TV. I'm using component cables to connect from my cable box and according to Philips, you can't use that type of connection to watch standard TV you need to switch to SVIDEO. Now I'm pretty sure I had this same issue back before when using SVIDEO though I always kept the screen stretched so it was hard to notice.

Any ideas?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Don't know what the problem is, but I'm 99.99% sure that it has nothing to do with using component instead of s-video.

Quick story: Just got Adelphia digital cable. The audio was going in and out on every channel (tried using coax to the tv, red/white to the tv, and red/white to the receiver all with same result). I called Adelphia and the lady told me I shouldn't be running any cables other than the coax cable from the box to anywhere else. I asked her what the other ports were for then. She told me that I would have to look in the manual. I pointed her to the page in the manual with the wiring diagram and she got very confused and said someone would have to come out to help me. A guy came out and replaced the box and everything was great. He hands me the work order to sign off on and his instructions from the person I had talked to were "visit for customer education." That really burned me up!

Anyway, good luck with your tv.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Philips tube TVs are known for having very bad geometry out of the box. You're going to need to have a tech or isf come calibrate the set from within the service menu, or do it yourself if you're comfortable with it. I have a 32PT740H and the geometry out of the box was just as bad as you describe. After about an hour in the service menu with some test patterns from the Sound & Vision Guide to HT dvd I was able to get it pretty close to where it should be, enough so that it's no longer noticeable when watching anything but the test patterns. Also, you're going to need to do the adjustments in both 480p AND 480i since they have independant settings.

The adjustments are also indepentant for 1080i but most people have no way of generating 1080i test patterns. I may try to rip the needed test patterns from my S&V disc and burn them to a non-copy protected disc and then use my Bravo D1 to output a 1080i signal over component. I'll only output 1080i over DVI with copy protected discs. I haven't really needed to go this far yet, though, since I currently have no HD content going to that TV (it's in a bedroom HT).

Hope this helps :)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
THe TV may have inherent power supply regulation problems. You might be seeing a situation where each scan line varies slightly in length depending on how bright it is. So if the top half of the picture is brighter, it will be slightly wider. The ever changing brightness across the picture results in the weaving motion of the side edges. Before 16:9 mode was invented, this problem among others was hidden by overscan.

I see a lot of TV sets (including in stores) where the picture expands slightly when it gets brighter. Among other things, a stationary object such as a logo shifts position slightly.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks