What's new

B&k Amp Owners? (1 Viewer)

Brandon WB

Grip
In another post, I talked about my B&K ref 200.3 amp making a hissing/static sound & thump when its fired up for the 1st time. It only comes out of one channel. I have narrowed it down to the fact that it only can be the amp and no other component. I use the amp for my front 3 speakers. I now have the center channel hooked up thru the output on the amp thats giving me the problem. Now when I switch my Yamaha receiver (my processor) to stereo (2ch) mode for music I get a fairly loud hiss that never stops out of the center channel, which should be silent if its not in use right? I can even hear the static/hiss from over 12 ft away when music is muted. No other sound like this comes out of any other speaker thats hooked up to the B&K. Wondering if anybody has advice on what I should do. B&K, last time I talked to them said this might be normal. My problem is, its only 2 months old, but warranty may not cover it because it was purchased over the internet.

Thanks for any help,
Brandon

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
isolate the hiss and make sure its from your amp. do you have another amp to use to compare with? I have a 5 channel b&k and I get nothing from any channel except music/movies. It could be your Yamaha making the hiss and the amp just making it louder. does the hiss increase/decrease in volume with volume control?]
The initial thump/hiss is probably from the surge of power it gets fed when you pop it on. I leave my amp "on" but use the power switch on my surge protector to fire the system up. That also may be a casue for your problem. something could have popped during a particulatrly loud "thump"
Im not trying to scare you, but there could be many things involved. once again, try to isolate the problem and see if its from the amp or the yamaha.

Brandon WB

Grip
Mike,

last night I tried to isolate the problem by leaving the yamaha & everything else off and the amp still makes the hiss. I swithed interconnects around from the yamaha to the amp, I tried using the different pre-outs on the yamaha to different inputs on the amp. Everytime I played around, the hiss/static/pop only comes out of the right input on the B&K when you are looking at it from the back side. You mentioned turning your system on via the surge protector, right? Is that mean you leave everything on and flip the switch, or flip the switch on and turn on each component individually?

Hopefully this clears some things up for you,

Brandon

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
I leave the amps switched on but turn off my dvd player and my processor by hand then the whole system gets turned off by the surge protector. It has eliminated that awful thump.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks