What's new

APOCALYPTO --- Mel Gibson's Latest (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
and according to MCN it's complete bullshit, plus Friedman had a huge grudge against Gibson and Passion of the Christ, having already prejudged that movie and the man long before it was released in theatres.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I personally can't wait to see this film. It looks fantastic, powerful and unique and Gibson is a terrific director.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Me too. I think Gibson gets better with each film he makes. The trailer for this impressed/intrigued me so much that I've been frothing to see this for a while.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Matt, please change your sig pic. I find myself spending far too much time staring trancefully(pretty sure I made that word up) at SMG'S cleavage, and not enough reading the posts :)

HELLO NURSE!

JC

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
from the above link:

WTF? How is that going to be a good idea? Going from "From the director of Braveheart..." to "Come see Disney's latest, a graphic mayan movie with no stars or director???" Gibson's name is what will be bring people in, as soon as the "incident" stuff boils over.

Regards,
Nathan

Mary M S

Screenwriter
"Gibson's name is what will be bring people in, as soon as the "incident" stuff boils over."

From my read, in one of the larger cities in America, this appears to be one of those increasingly frequent events when the media/entertainment machine is determined to fixate on 'incident' and the majority of their viewers are not.

I expect to be poked in the eyes with the whole thing again the weeks around premiere.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Disney isn't concerned about a new theaterical release with the huge headlines about Gibson and anti-semitism, but they won't quietly release Song of the South? :rolleyes

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
How is that hypocritical? I'm told time and again on these boards to separate the art from the artist. Unless there is anti-semitism or other forms of ingrained racism in Apocalypto THE FILM, then the situations aren't the same.

One involves the actual film itself...the other involves behind the scenes gossip-mongering and the director putting his foot in his mouth.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The point is that there is far more negative press that is going to come from Apocalypto, regardless of what is or isn't in the film, than would come from Song of the South. Disney won't release Song of the South cause they're afraid of some bad press that would be minor at most, but they'll release a PR nightmare? I just find it depressing and odd that they have the balls to release one but not the other.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You watch how easily the press links the two. Nearly every news item on Gibson is likely to feature some variation of:

...Disney is set to release Gibson's latest film this fall.

To the general public, that puts Disney and Gibson in bed together.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Which is STILL a far cry from the actual animation and dialogue in an animated film supporting caricatures. I'll be blunt, most of the public does not give a crap about Gibson and what he said. Disney probably knows that.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Right, I'm not sure why the press is so vicious to Gibson and forgiving of Downey Jr and Christian Slater for example. And didn't Matthew Broderick kill a couple people in a car crash? wasn't he drunk? I love the clearly very fair treatment Gibson is getting, makes me despise our 'led-by-the-nose' press even more.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
The three actors you mentioned are nothing..their careers are over and they never were box office draws.

Mel Gibson is big time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.