What's new

Anyone like drinking pickle juice? (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I've always been fond of the taste of pickle juice, but lately I've had this inexplicable craving for it. (insert pregnant joke here)
I've been sick with the flu for three days, and once I felt ready to eat something solid, I polished off a jar of dill pickles that had been sitting in the fridge. This left behind maybe a cup-and-a-half of the juice, so I downed that too.
Man, did it hit the spot. I'm certain I was dehydrated from the flu, and that juice must have replaced mucho lost electrolytes. The best way for me to describe this particular quenching of thirst is that the PJ fit my thirst like a key into a lock.
So next I take to the internet and discover that various sports teams (including the Philadelphia Eagles and Ohio State) have been experimenting with pickle juice as a re-hydration drink.
And there's even a place in Texas that bottles and sells it (by the case).
Anyone else wanna admit to liking the stuff?
Jon

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Haha. Hilarious. I used to drink pickle juice when I was younger, but mainly to "prove" my manliness(sp?) to my sisters. It always grossed them out. But it sure made me have to run to the bathroom after a bit. Mean green colon cleansing machine!! :D

Shawn.G

Second Unit
Hello, Many football players drink pickle juice to prevent serious cramping. After a game, my legs start to cramp up on the long way home from the games. This doesn't happen when I drink the juice.

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
I won't necessarily "drink" it, but I always keep leftover pickle juice in the fridge to dunk my chips in.
Andrew

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I don't think drinking pickle juice is a "classy" thing to do but I DO like to sip it if you will, out of the pre-packaged pickles that the Freestone pickle company makes. ;)

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah. I've done that. After the flu.

It's all about your body craving electrolytes. You'll probably not be so interested in pickle juice after you get better.

-JNS

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Pickle juice is a known "poor man's gatorade" for us long distance cyclists... Never tried it as a gatorade but I can see how it can be good, at least it's some variety, as long as you like pickles!
Jay
Pickles Oblong :)

StephenA

Screenwriter
Yes I like drinking it. I also dunk Better Cheddars in pickle juice. Great way to eat Better Cheddars. But of course I've always been known as a weird duck.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
hehe I have a friend here that got us hooked on pickle juice too. She absolutly loves it. Take a shot of rye or rum (or any hard alcohol) and chase it with a ounce of pickle juice.

Takes the bite right out of the booze.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Never thought of dunking crackers or chips into the stuff; not a bad idea. They sell Dill Pickle flavored chips in Ontario, but not here in the states.
I'm gradually recovering from the flu, but I find the thought of drinking pickle juice still pretty appealing. It'll be interesting to see if, as Jagan suggested, my craving will abate once I'm 100%. I hope so. :)
Jon

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Never thought of dunking crackers or chips into the stuff; not a bad idea. They sell Dill Pickle flavored chips in Ontario, but not here in the states.
Actually it just depend on where you are in the states. They sell dillpckle chips here in Indiana (several different brands actually)
The best kind of dill pickle chips I had were sold at a place in West Virginia. I was on my way home from VA and found a place that sells fruit, candles, etc. and they had the best dill pickle chips I ever had. They were thick cut and kettle cooked which made them extra crunchy and cooked in small batches. Wish I remembered the name of that company as I'd be on the net right now seeing if I could order some of those. :frowning:
Do a general search on dill pickle flavored potato chips and maybe order some and have them sent to your house if you like them.
Hmmmmmm I'm going to go look for those chips on the net right now.....

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah. Pickle juice is great for medicinal purposes. If I have a sore throat, I gargle with it. If I feel a cold coming on, I suck down half a jarfull. It works great!

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Oh man, now I'm hungry for Pickles...
If anyone has the means, there's a brand of Kosher Dill Pickle produced in Ontario Canada called "Strubs". Absolute, bar none, 100%, the BEST pickle EVER. :D
I can make a meal out of the easily, and they make for a great healthy snack!
Never tried the juice, but it's starting to sound very interesting...
Moe.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I can make a meal out of the easily, and they make for a great healthy snack!
Hmmmmm I was under the impression that pickles have no nutritional value whatsoever.
The ones I eat have zero carbs, zero calories. They aren't healthy but filling which can be a good thing if you are dieting, but a bad thing if (like me) thats all you end up eating that day which means you got no nutrition in your body.
Pickles are big staple food for me which is maybe why I only weigh 84 pounds now. I think I'll go have a burger.... with pickles on it of course :D

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Hmmmmm I was under the impression that pickles have no nutritional value whatsoever.
Eve,
Very true!
But put it this way... I'd rather eat a yummy tasty pickle with 0 nutritional value, then a vat of buttered greasy fatty popcorn with negative nutritional value. ;)
moe.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Just watch that sodium, boys 'n girls. They're loaded with it.

I shoulda been born in the days where they had a big pickle barrel in every general store. Now that's livin!

Jon

StephenA

Screenwriter
My mom used to work in a chip factory here in my hometown that had a huge jar of bigass pickles. She used to bring me there sometimes and I'd ask for a couple pickles. Boy were they good. I'm not sure, but I think the pickles were home made right in the chip factory along with the chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks