What's new

Anyone know why the X-FILES DVD boxsets are soo expensive? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
As Joshua said, the MSRP's are lowering by $50 each in ... May, I think it is. Whenever the last season set (9) comes out. Really should wait until then to start collecting. I expect that around that time, it will become incredibly affordable to start buying these used on e-bay.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I didnt know they were lowering them in May.
Good news. Love the show but have only bought season 1 due to the price.
I will probably get morenow.

Where was this reported?

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Maybe it was priced higher to make up for the lack of sales as the show isnt as popular as say The Simpsons will paticulary in the later seasons. I think also its the same with King Of The Hill also that's why each season is taking longer to come out but than that wouldn't explain why The Simpsons are taking so long to come out.

-Mike

chris mcinroy

Stunt Coordinator
Good question. I live in canada and they cost $180 dollars per season arg!!. seems like some one wants to make money by making us poor lol

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Actually, quite the opposite. As was already said, "The X-Files" was the first TV set on DVD, and priced at what they thought was a good price. It sold so well that it paved the way for future TV sets. Now that they've worked the kinks out of TV on DVD and have found a good price that still makes a profit and sells well, they're lowering the price a tad to come into lines better with new sets.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
The Star Trek and X-Files sets sell with such a high MSRP due to the fact they're a part of a franchise. Before the sets were even conceived anyone involved with the show knew that merchandise relating to it would sell, so contracts were done up so that actors/producers/directors and of course the studio would get a cut. Its really quite ridiculous when an extremely high quality set such as 24 sells for $60CDN with tons of extras, 5.1 audio, and widescreen video, while the X-Files sets never had 5.1 and had a smaller amount of extras.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have combined the most recent thread on this topic with an earlier one that covered it pretty thoroughly. See also this 3-page thread on the topic.

M.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
When Best Buy.com had a sale on the X-Files season sets for $50 each, it was reported here. Now I see that Amazon has all 9 on sale for $50 each, so I'm just throwing out a heads-up. DDD also has them for, I think, $53.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, you guys should have bought the X-Files sets back at the end of June, early July when Best Buy had them on sale for $49 per set. But X-Files really blew serious crap with Seasons 8-9. Episode counts were pretty low as well.

The biggest reason why some series like X-Files and Star Trek are so high, and its not because of merchandise and DVD rights is because these are high profile Sci Fi shows that Fox and Paramount produces is because they know the fans will buy them and they do sell.

Maybe if enough people stop buying them they'll get the message and start paying attention to lowering the prices. But I wouldn't bet on Star Trek getting lowered. Paramount is deeply entrenched into their set prices and they won't budge.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Not really, there's 21 episodes in Season Eight, 20 in Season Nine compared to 22 in Seasons Six and Seven and 20 in Season Five.

And Seasons Eight was the best year of the show since Season Four. Assuming you gave those episodes a chance and didn't just say it sucked because Duchovny was gone.

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
And yet in Australia, the Region 4 full sets were always discounted to around 30-35U.S.
When they recently changed the packaging, you could get them for 27 U.S. each.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
the same sale every two months ... that's no sale ... besides, most fans would prefer to buy them in a real brick and mortar store, not online.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

I think the pricing may have to do with the fact that the talent involved knew the merchandise of these franchises would be worth a lot, so they worked into their contracts a piece of the sales of the VHS, DVD, etc. The studio will want a large piece of these sales and rightfully so, so the price is jacked up to accomodate everyone's expectations.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've always thought that the reason they're so much is because it was the first TV season set so Fox had to set a price and when it sold they saw no reason to change the price. Once all nine were released, they dropped the price to $100 MSRP to try to entice other people to buy it after the hardcore fans had paid the $150 MSRP.

It's the sci-fi nerd curse, they know the fans will pay so they set the price high (as mentioned before). :)

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I bought seasons 1 - 3 on ebay for around $40 each. Considering each set has seven discs (four eps per disc), the picture and sound quality is perfect, and the extras take up most or all of disc seven, I'd say it is certainly worth $50, if that is the current going price online for new copies. Everything I've seen in the stores has been at $100.

Why not just buy on Amazon or ebay?

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
I bought all 9 seasons on e-bay. Average price about $45. All virtually brand new condition. I just got done watching them all. What a great show. Although the show dip a very little bit in the last 2 seasons it was still a great show I think. Robert Patrick was a great choice to replace Mulder.

Actually I thought the picture quality on the first few seasons was not that good, kinda grainy. When they started filming in WS it got a whole lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks