What's new

Anyone Get Buzz from HT-S790 by Upgrading Wires? (1 Viewer)

Bill_Br

Agent
Real Name
Bill Browning
Hi,

A few months ago, I bought an Onkyo HT-S590 system. I immediately upgraded the speaker wires and experienced the buzz that I learned afterwards (from forums like this one) was very common with that receiver. I solved the problem by replacing a couple of the wires with the ones that came with the system.

Now, I've bought an Onkyo HT-S790 for another room. Before I upgrade the speaker wires, I'd like to know if anyone who owns the 790 has had a problem with a hum after upgrading their wires. If not, what gauge wire did you use that didn't get a hum, and did you notice any significant difference in sound quality?

Also, just for my information (being new to home theater setups), are the Monster brand wires worth their extra cost?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you get Monster at a discount, it is fine, but for full price it isn't really any better than anything else. For a HTiB, I definitley wouldn't be looking to spend a lot on wire. Any 14AWG should be fine.

Speaker wire itself should not cause hum unless it is run near and parallel to power wires. I installed a 780 for a customer running Monster XP-HT and had no hum problems.

Bill_Br

Agent
Real Name
Bill Browning
John, I can't speak for the 780, but I suggest that you Google "HT-S590 hum" and see how many hits you get addressing this issue for that specific unit. Onkyo tech support even admitted in a response to an e-mail query of mine that using heavier wire causes the hum because the impedence is changed.

But I'd prefer that this thread not go off on a tangent. Instead of theoretical discussions, I'm hoping to hear from HT-S790 OWNERS who've upgraded their wires. Anyone out there???

Bill

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wire won't change impedance significantly (at least not enough to affect the speakers dramatically), though it can change capacitance, especially with longer runs. What that means is, the amp section is not robust enough for the current draw.

The 780/790 use the TX-SR50X receivers, and for the speakers they include, hum should not be a problem. The 780 and 790 use exactly the same speakers, the only difference is the 790 has a newer receiver and slightly different sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks