What's new

RYAN’S DAUGHTER: Discussions for a BD Release (2015 - 2024) (2 Viewers)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I believe I recall a similar situation with the blu ray of "LAWRENCE".
Sony almost went with the HD master and, made from the restored 65mm IP, decided to go all the way and do a full blown restoration from scratch (if you'll pardon the pun!).
I would always opt to wait an additional year or more for any 70mm fare; just as long as it involves the perfection of a restoration and/or a transfer. Always, always, always.:thumbs-up-smiley:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I sincerely doubt that WAC's release of "The Gumball Rally" has little bearing on a future release of "Ryan's Daughter".
I would imagine that the OCN of a 70mm film; with a superior sound design and a longer running time of 90 minutes over "Gumball"; requires far more work, care and expertise. And who's to say that a 4K UHD - with all the wait- isn't in the works?
I, for one, do not know where WAC would stand on that front; but I am always hopeful. And who knows? Maybe the monies generated from "The Gumball Rally" (and the likes) are exactly what's needed for the seemingly lesser product; such as "Ryan's Daughter"; to ever see the light of day.

I remember being very frustrated over the 11th hour postponement of RAH's 50th Anniversary BD of "My Fair Lady".
Yet, I knew in my gut that such a postponement must have occurred with great justifications.
And this is the truth; I had wondered if it involved a last minute discovery and/or inclusion of the 70mm Six-Track Sound Design; not heard since its initial Roadshow run.
If so, I thought to myself, it would be well worth the extended wait; a wait that might prove to be all the sweeter. And man, oh man, was it ever.

So take heed, we brave few; as we have recently learned that Sweden, The British Film Institute and Christopher Nolan are amongst our ranks; if not as members, then certainly in recognizing the importance of this Irish film.
Indeed, with such news of London's upcoming film festival, "Ryan's Daughter" has gained another swell upon the horizon.
And lest we forget; Robert A. Harris had long-ago acknowledged upon this thread that WAC is watching, aware and working their due diligence. So let us take the "My Fair Lady" approach to this wait; as perfection will have to require our patience, belief and support.

Perfection and 70mm seems a bit too much to expect from Warner Archive. So In this case I will make an exception and accept for Warner to make the upcoming perfect Blu-ray and UHD boxsets a regular release :D

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It may very well be that WAC is holding off on the release of our Irish BD, in order to do a marketing Tie-In with the 2018 theatrical premiere of "Rosie's Father"; a long-intended sequel derived from an unfinished manuscript and notes, which were discovered in a wooden drawer beneath a derby, a nightie and a seashell, on the grounds of Robert Bolt's estate.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Or maybe it'll be released in conjunction with Ryan's Daughter 2: The Wrath of Michael. [Synopsis: It dawns on Sir John Mills' character that the treatment meted out to him throughout his life has been reprehensible; he sets about a murderous spree through the village, with an empty Guinness bottle.]

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Or maybe it'll be released in conjunction with Ryan's Daughter 2: The Wrath of Michael. [Synopsis: It dawns on Sir John Mills' character that the treatment meted out to him throughout his life has been reprehensible; he sets about a murderous spree through the village, with an empty Guinness bottle.]
Okay, Ryan's Daughter 2: The Wrath of Michael; then followed by Rosie's Father, to be told in back and forth Godfather II fashion; where we will explore the introspective juxtapositions of what happened with Rosie's marriage and who she came to be in her elder years, along with how Ryan, now alone, ultimately faces his conscience during the final year of life.
I elect Nicolas Roeg as DP; with Sara Miles to play the older Rosie.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Okay, Ryan's Daughter 2: The Wrath of Michael; then followed by Rosie's Father, to be told in back and forth Godfather II fashion; where we will explore the introspective juxtapositions of what happened with Rosie's marriage and who she came to be in her elder years, along with how Ryan, now alone, ultimately faces his conscience during the final year of life.
I elect Nicolas Roeg as DP; with Sara Miles to play the older Rosie.
Roeg as D.P.???Am I missing something here?:wacko:
Not after DL fired him on Zhivago and probably one of the reasons that film was anamorphic not 65mm.
What about Robert Krasner?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Roeg as D.P.???Am I missing something here?:wacko:
Not after DL fired him on Zhivago and probably one of the reasons that film was anamorphic not 65mm.
What about Robert Krasner?
Robert Krasner is deceased; Roeg is not.
Also, it is unlikely, that that the financing for a 65mm shoot would gain a green light.
Come to think of it, it is also unlikely that the story pitches of both PMF and RMajidi would get a green light, either; despite our respective and plausible visions.:3dglasses:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Robert Krasner is deceased; Roeg is not.
Also, it is unlikely, that that the financing for a 65mm shoot would gain a green light.
Come to think of it, it is also unlikely that the story pitches of both PMF and RMajidi would get a green light, either; despite our respective and plausible visions.:3dglasses:
P.S. Albeit, Sir David may have fired Mr. Roeg;
but not to the point where he could ignore the uses of his work in portions of Zhivago's final cut.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In another HTF thread, it was announced that Daniel Day-Lewis has retired.
In honor of such said announcement, I will do the same as Host of this "Ryan's Daughter" thread.

All that encompasses Sir David Lean and the brilliant working crews of his 16 films have been celebrated and served. Likewise, all that can be asked, said or done has taken its course; in regards to our hopes and requests for a State-Of-The-Art release of this grand and visually poetic Irish film.

Greatness, both in sound and scope, are certain to be ahead; as its just a matter of time.

In the meantime, please continue on with your respective Posts, as there have been some recently wonderful submissions that have further exemplified the 47-year arch and history of "Ryan's Daughter" and it's endurance.

My gratitude and many thanks to HTF, RAH, Stephen PI and all good members who have brought to this thread their valued experiences, technical knowledge, insights, stories and wit.:cool:

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
At the BFI Southbank Tomorrow Ryan's Daughter is showing in 70mm an original print from Sweden.
On Thursday night I saw Dunkirk there in 70mm Datasat and it was fab.

Film Forever

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw Ryan's Daughter yesterday in 70mm at the BFI Southbank and the PQ was fantastic, you cant beat anything shot in 65mm by Freddie Young.

I envy you, sir. Deeply, deeply. I have seen good 70mm prints of Ryan's Daughter in the past, and more than once. That's why I envy you. You saw it yesterday.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I saw Ryan's Daughter yesterday in 70mm at the BFI Southbank and the PQ was fantastic, you cant beat
anything shot in 65mm by Freddie Young.

Glad you liked that print, I thought it was magnificent when I had the pleasure to see it, it looked almost as if it had not faded at all back then. But that was a number of years ago, how does it hold up these days?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Some of the print has a slight fade and some scratches have appeared since I saw it about 3 years ago in Bradford but its still pretty good
and much better than the 70mm Double Head version with 35mm sound that was screened a few years ago.

Also I saw Dunkirk there on Thursday in 70mm / Datasat and some of that print could not match Ryan's Daughter.

I read somewhere once that 11 prints of RD were taken of the ON and I think this Swedish Print might have been one.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Some of the print has a slight fade and some scratches have appeared since I saw it about 3 years ago in Bradford but its still pretty good
and much better than the 70mm Double Head version with 35mm sound that was screened a few years ago.

Also I saw Dunkirk there on Thursday in 70mm / Datasat and some of that print could not match Ryan's Daughter.

I read somewhere once that 11 prints of RD were taken of the ON and I think this Swedish Print might have been one.

Sounds like it is holding up very well then, that is fantastic news. With how sharp the print is I am very sure that it is from the OCN, what was in focus on screen was incredibly sharp and detailed.

It is telling that the version that comes without sound looked worse although it was printed on supposedly superior print stock, maybe it was not struck directly from the OCN?

I am not surprised about Dunkirk, Interstellar in 70mm 5-perf did not look that great either.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Sounds like it is holding up very well then, that is fantastic news. With how sharp the print is I am very sure that it is from the OCN, what was in focus on screen was incredibly sharp and detailed.

It is telling that the version that comes without sound looked worse although it was printed on supposedly superior print stock, maybe it was not struck directly from the OCN?

I am not surprised about Dunkirk, Interstellar in 70mm 5-perf did not look that great either.
All this very interesting indeed..............but still no definite news of when or most likely I feel not of a BD release of the movie Ryan's Daughter.........

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
While I'm unable to disclose the title, a recent inventory discovery will be affecting probably a late 2017 title.

A very important '40s production, that has been relegated to third gen dupes.

One of those true Hallelujah! moments.
This tortuously wonderful keep-us-on-the-hook teaser trailer was posted by RAH on 02/11/17.
The title of mystery was recently revealed and confirmed as being "The Philadelphia Story".
True to RAH's word; albeit few as they are; this "true Hallelujah moment" includes the fact that the recent discovery was also an OCN. "The Philadelphia Story" will be scanned in 4K and will delivered to us in a big red bow by Criterion in November. Manna(h) from heaven.
Proudly, I say, you heard it here first; despite our being clueless to what the title was.:rolleyes:

P.S. I sure do hope we get to learn more about whom had found it and under what circumstances.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps with The Bridge on the River Kwai coming out on 4K/UHD disc, Ryan's Daughter might be a possibility in 2018, if not 4K than Blu-ray?

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Perhaps with The Bridge on the River Kwai coming out on 4K/UHD disc, Ryan's Daughter might be a possibility in 2018, if not 4K than Blu-ray?
Ordered...and supporting HTF through the supplied link.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks