What's new

Anger, heartbreak, and then triumph at my local BEST BUY. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This past Tuesday a freind and I went to our local BB to pick up, what else, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and to our anger we were confronted with row after row after row of nothing but fullscreen! :angry:
The big display at the front of the store had all fullscreen, so we went to the dvd section of the store, again nothing but fullscreen, fullscreen, and more fullscreen...except on the last row ON THE BOTTOM!! Needless to say this really pissed us off, I mean what the hell was BB trying to pull here!? :angry:
We bitched to ourselves a bit, sucked it up and grabbed our OAR copies and headed for the checkout line. It was their that the sorrow and sadness of this horrible story turned to hope. Behind us were two other guys who had OAR versions in their hands, I looked over at that fullscreen display and murmered under my breath "Fucking bastards!". One of the guys must have heard me because he then asked if I was looking for the widescreen version and pointed to a small widescreen display that we had missed coming in.
I went over to it and was very pleased to see that every widescreen copy on the top shelf ON BOTH SIDES were empty! :) And some of the second shelf was clearing out as well! As I was waking back to the line two other guys past me and grabbed a widescreen copy, hell one guy was almost RUNNING, he was kinda jogging swiftly. If your asking yourself "So what's the big deal about that?", the big deal is hardly any of the fullscreen copies were sold except a few. :)
Never had either of us seen this sort of affection for OAR at one time in a major outlet like BB! It really did our hearts good to see this. Good thing too, because when we saw all of those bastard versions, we were ready to go apeshit and start a protest here in the forum against BB! :)
On the other hand, why the hell did BB order so many fricken fullframe copies!! :angry:

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I work for Best Buy and can assure you that widescreen outsells fullscreen 3:1. For any customers who are unsure of the differences in format, a fellow employee and I are only too happy to explain those differences, putting a positive spin towards the widescreen of course.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
That's always the question for dual releases. When you see tons of full screen versions on the shelf and hardly any widescreen -- is it because the store is stocking more full screen or because the widescreen is selling better? Hopefully it is the latter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My local Best Buy is fairly even handed with such releases. When I bought the Simpsons Season 2 DVD on Wenesday, the FOTR display had 50/50 widescreen stoded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks