What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Kiss the Blood Off My Hands – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Norman Foster's 1948 black & white drama, Kiss the Blood Off My Hands, is yet another film with Russell Metty behind the camera.

Even shot (for the most part) at Universal, Mr. Metty creates a magnificently dirty, and wet atmosphere, with gleaming cobblestones everywhere. It's a beautifully shot film.

And this generally is brought over on Kino's new Blu-ray, although from a dupe - main titles are a bit on the soft side. Once we get into production photography, black levels and a beautiful tonality comes to the fore. Grain seems appropriate and original.

I'm a huge Lancaster fan, and this one (his eighth appearance) adds another of his early works to Blu-ray territory.

Score, which may be of interest to music buffs, is by someone named Rozsa.

Joan Fontaine co-stars.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last year, I watched my 2016 DVD and thought the video presentation was pretty good. The movie I consider mediocre as I felt the screenplay let that great cast down. I'm not sure I'm buying Kino's marketing that this BD is derived from a new 2K Master.;) I'll probably buy it as a Lancaster completist and it has an audio commentary by Jeremy Arnold.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Terrific film and I think Kino's disc is excellent, with the picture quality helping to focus attention on the richly atmospheric cinematography. Burt Lancaster is at his best in the first film set up by his production company, in a role which for much of the time is hard to sympathise with. Interesting themes of redemption and characters' headlong rush towards tragedy - although the ending is a cop-out. Great score by Rozsa. Good audio commentary by Jeremey Arnold.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Terrific film and I think Kino's disc is excellent, with the picture quality helping to focus attention on the richly atmospheric cinematography. Burt Lancaster is at his best in the first film set up by his production company, in a role which for much of the time is hard to sympathise with. Interesting themes of redemption and characters' headlong rush towards tragedy - although the ending is a cop-out. Great score by Rozsa. Good audio commentary by Jeremey Arnold.
Yesterday, I bought the Kino Blu-ray so I'll be watching it again real soon. Unlike her sister, whom I simply love and consider her among my ten all-time favorite actresses, I'm not a big fan of Joan Fontaine. Perhaps, that is coloring my perception of this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks