What's new

7.1 receiver with 6 speakers (1 Viewer)

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,
I am looking into new receivers and have realized that most of the quality receivers out there now are 7.1. Unfortunately, I only have a 6.1 speaker set up and am not looking to buy any more speakers for a while. Are most or at least some 7.1 receivers set up to deliver 6.1 audio?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they should do it just fine, you should be able to tell your receiver via menus that you only have 6 speakers hooked up, you will have to read the manual to see which one to hook it up to though.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
You have 6.1, or do you have 5.1? If you do have 6.1, you will want something that supports 6.1 EX/ES for Dolby D and DTS. If not it won't matter, and everything new is backwards compatable to 5.1. My receiver is 6.1, but I have 5.1, I just told the menu I didn't have a rear center speaker. My stereo does have a virtual 6.1 mode which is nice.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
7.1 does not exist as a format, only 6.1, so all "7.1" receivers are compatible with 6.1. In the speaker setup, there should be a configuration that will let you select one or two rear centers (that's how mine is).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There is one caveat that I forgot:

Logic 7, AFAIK, does not support a 6-speaker setup, only 5 or 7. If you are intending to use a processor with Logic 7, take this into account. If not, then shouldn't be a problem.

Scott Sabin

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the Pro Logic IIx also "decodes" 7 discrete channels from 2 or 5 channel sources. Don't know for certain whether it does 6.1 if you only have 6 speakers or not.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Scott, close, but your terminology is incorrect. It is not decoding discrete channels, such as DD 5.1, but using processing to create matrix channels from 5.1 material, and stereo material.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All Dolby is backwards compatible, so PLIIx will give you correct separation depending on how many speakers you have configured. It is not specific to 7 channels, AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks