What's new

“Ice Age” Special Edition On D-Theater (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Christopher-
Would you consider getting both for comparison? I think I will be getting them for that reason, and the supplementary material.

Wow-I just saw you live pretty close to me.

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, I'm lucky in that my Stepbrother will most likely be buying the dvd as he has not gotten into DVHS yet. So, yes, I'm sure I will be doing some comparing. However, I'm not going to go crazy with it. Just like with dts, I usually just play the dts track since I know the bitrate is higher. Sure, every once in awhile a dolby track will best a dts track (or so I hear) and I will miss it since I only listen in dts. I just can't get into it all. I know that the DVHS will be better and I'm quite satisfied knowing that.

Also, maybe I don't want to do side by side comparisons between these two formats. It is making it harder and harder to watch dvd.

Chris

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, and our Home Theater's are shockingly similar (to your living room setup). Although I will admit that your amp is much better:b

Chris

Gary Reber

Grip
From Gary Reber, Editor-In-Chief & Publisher of Widescreen Review
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has confirmed the first day-and-date, HD D-Theater™ title—“Ice Age”—to debut on November 26, the same release date as the VHS and DVD versions.. Not only is this the first day-and-date D-Theater title, but Fox’s $180 million smash hit also features the first “Special Edition” on this new HD format, boasting an all-new, exclusively produced five-minute CGI animated short, “Scrat’s Missing Aedventure.” The title will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.98. The title is available for pre-order at $31.99 on the www.DVHSMovieGuide.com Web site. Also at this site available for order is all of the D-VHS and D-Theater titles. Stay tuned for all new title announcements.
D-Theater is currently the only high-definition home video format available, and offers the increasing number of consumers with high-definition televisions the content they have been seeking. As demanded by content providers in the digital era, D-Theater provides a state-of-the-art level of security for copyrighted high value prerecorded content.
The creation of this D-Theater version of “Ice Age” marks the world’s first full digital HD animated release for home theatre and the first D-Theater release transferred directly from the HD digital source.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gary,
Welcome to HTF and it's great to see you posting on our forum, but I'm going to move your thread to our Software area where the discussion about dvd and D-VHS releases are discussed in detail.

Crawdaddy

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Thanks Gary!

I just pre-ordered the DTheater version, and I hope this is a view of things to come. I can't wait to see Ice Age in high definition.

Marc.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
hey...I already had a thread about this :frowning:
but am happy that the HD-news is spreading and glad to see Gary being a part of it! :)
Also, please support Lasers Edge (they support this forum) and pre-order all your DVHS titles from there.
http://www.lasersedge.com
Thanks for supporting the forum!!!

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Call me a snob, I just don't care. But it's going to be a great feeling when someone asks me if I'll be picking up the Ice Age dvd and I'll reply "No, I'll be getting the DVHS" It kinda brings me back to the days of Laserdisc, where nobody knew what the hell you were talking about. Laserdisc? What was Laserdisc? Yes I may be a snob but I love being into a format that has not gone mainstream. I would sit here and list all of the reasoning behind this, but fellow snobs already know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, Gary, is there any chance of seeing Episode II on DVHS?

Thanks and love the mag,
Chris

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Brian,

This thread isn't about those of you who don't like the format. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but please don't shit on every DVHS thread that comes up! For those of us that want the best image currently available, this format does it. If you want to settle for the DVD, that's fine, but you don't see DVHS owners going into the Ice Age DVD thread, and shitting all over it, do you?

Marc.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well on that note, allow me to say, boy, I wish had D-Theater, that will probably look great in HD. I'm waiting for the 500.00 price tag. Until then "sigh":frowning:

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info. I am holding off on HDVhS right now. But it is nice to know that titles are starting to come out for it.

Ahh. A digital hd production day and date release on D-VHS!
I'm quivering with anticipation.
Having just gotten my player, each new title is a kind of revelation and learning experience, be it a recognizable Francis Bacon painting in long shot in Entrapment, or the gorgeous fabric textures and colors in ID4, or the truly disgusting pieces of exploded pig lizard flesh in Galaxy Quest...

Fox, please keep on releasing more! (Wouldn't a D-VHS version of Moulin Rouge be nice? hmmmm?)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Great to hear from you Gary!

Any word as to when JVC will be bringing full bitrate DTS support to D-Theater, and if and when they do will the studios re-release some of these early titles (like Ice Age and X-Men and U-571) with either a full bitrate DTS 96/24 5.1 track or DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 remix, and go on from there with full bitrate DTS support?

Also, with Joe Kane's willingness to create a supposidly true 1080p version of Video Essentials with the help of JVC, is there going to be support from the four studios to have full, pro-grade 1080p masters created to support this resolution?

Have they ever considered using the direct digital, ultra-high resolution (their computers can usually support even IMAX quality resolution) telecine masters created at labs like Kodak's Cinesite (used more and more for digital color correction, editing, and post processing)? That way a perfect digital source with no film blemishes, no edge enhancement, and scads of detail to work with (which has been fully supervised by the Director of Photography) can be used to make beautiful pro-grade, direct-digital quality 1080p D-VHS and HD-DVD releases.

Those are the $65,000 questions I'm waiting to have answered.

Dan

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait until there are more day and date DVHS releases. Fox is really throwing their support behind DVHS, and I for one am thrilled.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'd *love* to see 1080P mastering/encoding done for D-VHS. Of course, so far JVC has said that they have no plans to include an analog 1080P output capability on any of their machines (perhaps via a future digital link??). But it sure could look stunning...much clearer for lack of vertical filtering now applied to 1080I signals to reduce aliasing.

-dave

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Pardon my lack of enthusiasm, but I really don't care. I'm happy with DVD.
I'm glad you're happy with DVD. Some people are happy enough Chevrolets and some would rather step up to a Mercedes. Can we please not launch attacks because you happen to not want to make that step?

is this a thread about the ice age release d-vhs or yet another thread to be hijacked by d-vhs bashers? i'm very interested in purchasing d-vhs deck and would like to be able to read threads regarding upcoming releases without having to paddle through a river of attack posts on peoples' preferences.

thanks to the original poster for this information, it's an encouraging sign for the future of D-VHS. hopefully there'll soon be news of a "killer app" title release for the format, namely star wars ep 2 or fellowship of the ring..

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying very hard not to join in threads like this, but...
Try harder George! Seriously.

I think the fact that Fox is doing a day and date release of this title with the DVD is great news. This is definitely a sign that Fox is truly supporting this format, and that we can expect more day and date releases in the future. I'm sure that Ice Age will look nothing less than incredible on D-Theater.

It's great to know that HD quality movies are available NOW, and its also great to see that the price of the D-Theater machine is down to $750.00!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
:rolleyes:It's times like this that I wish I was still an Admin with the magic delete key. For those few thread farters up there please keep your opinions to yourself. Feel free to start your own thread dedicated to your thoughts or add to the dozens already started. Anti-HD-VHS sentiments have no relevance here.
I for one applaud Fox's effort for day-and-date. As suggested above it would be amazing to see Episode II in HD.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Am I the only one here that's afraid D-VHS will become the end-all-be-all of HD formats?

I WANT HD-DVD! Not a format with no extra features and the need to rewind.

If it's not on a disc media, I could care less about it. The ONLY good thing I see about D-VHS is that its forcing the HD-DVD people to get their act in gear, and it gives them a performance baseline (25 Mbps, full-rate DTS) to measure their format by.
If HD-DVD can't get isn't act together (i.e. decided on a proper and efficient standard, one that DOES NOT use extremely high compression, etc.), then so be it.

I'd like to have HD-DVD (assuming it's done properly), but HD-VHS is here now. I've had laserdisc since 95; I have yet to own a single VHS tape. Still, I'm strongly considering HD-VHS. I want to take advantage of my HD TV now, not in 5 years when HD-DVD is established and studios actually start supporting it. And who knows, if HD-VHS does grow a bit, studios like Fox may be less likely to support HD-DVD. I know Fox doesn't like the idea of paying Warner their DVD fees and what not. With the recent price drops (players available online for $750), it's becoming an attractive source for HD playback.

I've read the reviews and it seems the HD tapes are much more durable, as is the player. Yes, I KNOW IT'S STILL TAPE. But when I did own a VHS deck many years ago, I never had it go haywire and start eating tapes. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but the possibility of it happening will not prevent me from buying HD-VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks