What's new

SVS PC vs CS (1 Viewer)

Tom_Price

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I am going to purchase an SVS subwoofer for my own holiday enjoyment. However, I am not sure which way to go. I think I finally have my mind made up on getting the 16-46 regardless, but I can't decide if I should get the PC+ line, or the CS+ line. I know the difference is that the PC has an onboard amp, and the CS has an external amp, but other than that, are there any differences I should worry about?

-TJ

RichardH

Supporting Actor
If you get the unpowered, there are some limitations. You don't get limiting protection (not an issue if you don't play too loud), you need your own amp (obviously), and probably most important, you have to turn that amp on and off as you use it (unless you have a power center that does it for you).

If you like clean and simple, go for the PC+

The CS+ will give you a little more performance given you get a decent amp.

Tom_Price

Stunt Coordinator
yes,

sorry for not being more specific. If I purchase the CS+, i will get it paired with the Samson 1000. That is the package SVS offers.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
SVS 16-46CS Plus/Samson S1000/Pro-Grade Interconnect
$1,025

SVS 16-46PC Plus
$875

I would go for the PC + and save your money. Amp power is appx. the same with both but with the PC Plus you get:

- four position subsonic filter switch
- variable phase
- variable crossover (with bypass)
- defeatable auto-on

If you get the Samson package, you need to add $159 for the SVS bass interface to get the subsonic filter and variable phase but you still don't get the variable crossover or auto on features.

I have one question on the Plus amps though. On SVS's site they say:
"Again, thousands of man-hours were expended dialing in performance that perfectly matched our dB-12 driver..."

What exactly is it that they "dial in". I know the SVS' don't use any type of eq boost, so what else is done?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Generally we recommend CS/Samson systems for those used to a "separates" approach to building a system... have their own spare amp already... or... intend to get a dual subwoofer system (with which a CS rig can save a few bucks). They may want one sub now and upgrade to a second later also.
"Dialing in" an amp to a sub can involve a host of issues that speaks to intense testing and proprietary issues we're just not going to get into here. Tom just isn't interested in sharing all he does and looks for when tweaking a design I'm afraid. Hope you can understand that sometimes we like to hold our cards close to the chest. ;^)
There is more on this common question here: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#whichtype Maybe it helps a bit. The bottom line is that there is more than one way to audio bliss!
Ron

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Hey Ron,

It's no big deal, it' just something I was curious about when purchasing my SVS. It doesn't really make a difference since IMO they're the best for the money powered or not.

AnthonyMP

Agent
I am curious about this also as I was confused by their FAQ saying that there is little difference between them since over 500+ watts is overkill (IIRC anyway).

The only differences that I came away with were that you could add your own amp or upgrade it in the future, that the PC amps came with more features than a seperate one but don't know if that applies when you buy the amp with the sub, and that setup is easier with the PC line.

I was looking at the PC-Plus 20-39 since size wouldn't be an issue and felt it was the best compromise of output and extension as I doubt I would ever listen to anything that would go below 20Hz sow ould rather have the extra output. But was also considering the CS-Plus/Ultra.

Think I may have found the other main difference. The 1000 watt amp is 500 watts x2 so if you wish to add a second sub in the future you end up saving a little over $100 plus shipping over two seperate PC subs. If you only ever plan to get 1 sub and if the above differences don't matter to you then it sounds like you can save the $150. Spend less now and more later if you wish to add a second sub or more now and less later for an upgrade path.

Now I am curious about how much of a real world difference is between the PC-Plus 20-39 and the CS Ultra and if it might be worth $400 more or only under specific circumstances and wants.

Edit: I spent so much time writing this that all the above posts were added since I started, sorry. The last one I saw before starting this was saying you would get the amp also.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
Hey, I bought my 16-46 PCi during the summer sale for $599. Unless you are in a fairly large room, this will work fine. Mine is in a 16X14 room with 9' ceilings and an 8x7 opening on one wall into another 13X14 room. The PCi can shake the house, and mated with a BFD parametric EQ, I get a very flat response from 20hz to 100hz +- 2db. The sound is fantastic; powerful, detailed, tight and transparent.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Frank Carter nailed it. The PC+ series is simply a better value ($300 less) than a single CS+ and the Samson S1000 and the SVS01 bass box.

As Anthony says, the only time the value equation shifts in the other direction (just a tad in favor of the CS+) is if you add a second CS+ and utilize the other half of the Samson S1000.

The PC+ series is SO easy to set-up and use, and ALL the GREAT amp features are built in. No muss, no fuss. Want to add a second PC+? Just get a Y-splitter and a second sub cable and you're done.

Even if it costs a bit more, I'd definitely take two PC+ over two CS+, the S1000, and the SVS01 in terms of convenience and ease of set-up alone.

Either way you cannot lose - in terms of extension, flat FR, low THD, and SPL - SVS has NO PEER in its price class. Clean, detailed, neutral, uncolored, ultra deep, and will rearrange your hairstyle when the source material calls for it. Get ready to be very, VERY impressed.

Regards,

Ed

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
A few other aspects that have not been mentioned in this thread:

1- Is the issue of repairability. If a powered subwoofer's amp fails, you are "dead in the water." You then need to remove the amp from the sub's enclosure for repair or ship the whole sub back.

With a passive sub, on the other hand, a spare amp or receiver will get you back in business in no time, and no need to mess with the sub itself.

2- There is also the issue of ground loops. Most powered subs end up being powered by a different outlet than the equipment rack, therefore separate ground path. This increases the possibility of a ground loop.

3- If a sub is going to be some distance away from the rest of the electronics, it might be more practical to run speaker cable (as in passive sub) as opposed to interconnects (as in powered sub). Speaker cable is less subject to noise and cheaper in long runs.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
And to add a few more points:

1 - A passive sub requires additional room (with proper ventilation) in your equipment rack for the amp.

2 - A powered sub needs a nearby accessible electric outlet.

3 - The amps on the PC/PC+ subs have no fan and so make no noise of their own. The Samson has fans which are pretty quiet, but not dead quiet.

4 - The Samson has indicator lights that tell you when it's active and whether it's clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks