-

Photo

Some info on MST3K Collections 2 & 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 01 2002 - 11:18 AM

Courtesy of www.mst3kinfo.com :

Rhino Home Video has given us a tentative glimpse into the MST3K DVD future.

With the caveat that all this could change, the second MST3K boxed set is slated to contain:

Episode 301- CAVE DWELLERS
Episode 303- POD PEOPLE
Episode 622- ANGELS' REVENGE
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER: THE SHORTS, VOLUME 1
(featuring The Home Economics Story, Junior Rodeo Daredevils, Body Care & Grooming, Cheating, A Date With Your Family, Why Study Industrial Arts? and Chicken of Tomorrow)

The set will tentatively hit stores February 11, 2003.

Looking further into the dim future, boxed set #3 will tentatively contain:

Episode 202- THE SIDEHACKERS
Episode 320- THE UNEARTHLY (with shorts: Posture Pals and Appreciating Our Parents)
Episode 518- THE ATOMIC BRAIN (with short: What About Juvenile Delinquency?)
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER: THE SHORTS, VOLUME 2
(featuring Catching Trouble, What To Do On A Date, Last Clear Chance, A Day At The Fair, Keeping Clean & Neat and The Days of Our Years)

This set is tentatively set to hit video stores April 8.

All this could change, of course, and if it does, we'll let you know as soon as we find out.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 01:40 PM

I didn't know there was a first set. Does it include the movies already released singley?

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 02:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't know there was a first set. Does it include the movies already released singley?

Collection 1 was released 11/12. All four episodes were not previously available on DVD, and are now only available in the box set. The same is true with collections 2 & 3 (although a couple of the shorts on The Shorts, Vol. 1 are available with their original episodes).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted December 01 2002 - 02:07 PM

I'm looking forward to these.

If there is a Volume 4, it'll have 2 new episodes which aren't on Rhino Home Video period. The only two tapes not on DVD are Gunslinger and Shorts Volume 3...so I'd expect new ones.

One good thing about the 4-disc sets is that they're cheap. Amazon.com has the first box for $44.99, so that's roughly $11 per episode. The current DVDs cost anywhere from $13 to $18 depending on the title.

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 02:09 PM

Hey, Patrick - Do you know if Rhino is able to release any of the Sci-Fi Channel era episodes?

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,772 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 02:34 PM

Hey, Patrick - Do you know if Rhino is able to release any of the Sci-Fi Channel era episodes?

No. Sci Fi would most likely not use Rhino to release any of their episodes.

Another note of interest, STARZ! will be showing MST3K: The Movie on Monday.

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 04:57 PM

Excellent! Good news, indeed.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,529 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 09:34 PM

YES!
Finally Pod People and Cave Dwellers.

"Trumpy, you can do stupid things!"

all-banner.jpg

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 09:49 PM

Speaking of Scifi Channel. Whats up with them? They have a ton of good shows they should release on DVD. I'd buy The Chronicle and Invisible Man.

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,112 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 09:49 PM

Ah, Pod People.

"It stinks!"

I kind of wish they'd spread these around a bit more, as at this rate, they'll run out of films to release sooner rather than later.

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   MarkBurton

MarkBurton

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 11:50 PM

Do we know if they will go back and release the ones currently available in a boxed set?

They could almost come out with 3 more boxed sets with the titles currently out.

Set X = Mitchell, Manos: The Hands of Fate, Eegah, The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Set Y = I Accuse My Parents, The Beginning Of The End, Red Zone Cuba, The Wild World of Batwoman

Set Z = The Hellcats, The Crawling Hand and the MST3K Movie This Island Earth (unlikely, I know) and maybe a third set of shorts including Here Comes The Circus (one of my favs).
Doctorrrrrrrrr....Acula!

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeremySt
No. Sci Fi would most likely not use Rhino to release any of their episodes.

Quoting from the webmaster of MST3KInfo.com, the official MST3K news site:

Quote:
We've spoken again with our source at Rhino Home Video and here's the latest.
First, the good news: He says the recent news from Sci-Fi won't have any effect
on Rhino's activities for the foreseeable future. Rhino has so far released 12
episodes from the Comedy Central era, will release three more next week (orders
for them are already being taken by the Info Club) and plans to release another
set in October. Our source couldn't give us any titles for the October release
yet.
He also said that right now the plan is to release a total of 25 titles from
the Comedy Central era. However, that probably won't be the end of MST3K on
video. Our source noted that Rhino already has a deal in place with the Sci-Fi
Channel, and after the 25 episodes from the Comedy Central era are out, Rhino
will be very interested in releasing episodes from the Sci-Fi Channel era.
On the DVD front, Rhino is still working on the release of episode 506- EEGAH!
but they have not settled on a release date. Our source tells us that the
reason it's taking so long is that Rhino doesn't want to make it just a
straight video transfer, and would like to add some other fun stuff to the DVD
to take full advantage of DVD's capabilities.
Now the less good news: We noted that some fans have suggested that Rhino might
want to consider sponsoring new, direct-to-video titles from BBI. Our source
says they have looked into that idea, but sadly he does not hold out much of
that happening. He said that sales of the current titles, while reasonably
strong, are not strong enough to support the costs that would be required to
produce entirely new episodes.

It's an older message, obviously, but I'd imagine it's not outdated.

Generally in the television game, it's the production company that controls the home video rights, not necessarily the network. That's why, for instance, Fox released the Buffy box sets rather than Warner Brothers or Paramount. There may be issues preventing an immediate home video release, but...yeah.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 03:57 AM

I'm going to start buying all of the MST3K releases to support these guys.

Does anybody know which episodes will likely never be released on DVD due to rights issues?

Will we see any other catalog titles after the VHS crop is transferred to DVD?

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael St. Clair
Does anybody know which episodes will likely never be released on DVD due to rights issues?

The Amazing Colossal Man was released by Rhino on VHS, but they lost the rights and the video was taken off the market.

The Sandy Frank titles -- the Gameras, Time of the Apes, Fugitive Alien, Mighty Jack, and Star Force from the Comedy Central era -- are unlikely to reappear. KTMA episodes will not be released, and it doesn't seem terribly likely that any episodes from the first season beyond The Crawling Hand will see the light of day again either.

I'm sure there are many, many more -- only a handful of episodes are still in rotation on Sci-Fi and Rhino's original contract was limited to just 25 Comedy Central-era titles -- but it's kind of hard to say for sure.

Quote:
Will we see any other catalog titles after the VHS crop is transferred to DVD?

Nothing's been officially announced.

Best Brains released their own videos through mail order of Boggy Creek II, The Girl in the Gold Boots, The Touch of Satan, and Hamlet, and perhaps those will be revisited on DVD by Rhino.

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 09:01 AM

I have the original The Amazing Colossal Man VHS. I guess I should give it back in the spirit of legality...Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin M
I guess I should give it back in the spirit of legality... Posted Image

You're not on any shaky ground by owning it on VHS. It just means Rhino can't continue to offer it...that's all.

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted December 02 2002 - 09:30 AM

Best Brains Inc. fully owns all MST3K episodes. Comedy Central and Scifi simply air or aired the episodes.

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 09:30 AM

This is great news about the sets! I picked up the first set, and we had a MST3K party on Friday which was a great success! Skydivers was especially hilarious.
Look forward to February 11th, hopefully that date will hold.
Have you ever heard of Vietnam, Larry?

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 09:31 AM

Whew...thanks for that little bit of info Adam, I was really worried that the Rhino Cops would bust down my door every time I watched it....kind of like when Frodo puts on the Ring.Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 09:38 AM

doppelganger.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow