What's new

Toshiba 50HDX82 S/N From Built In Amp & Speakers (1 Viewer)

Recently got a Toshiba and while I am generally satisfied with it I am a bit concerned with the 'white noise' (hiss) that is readily heard from the internal speakers when only turning the volume up to its first setting. The level is higher than I would expect and is audible from 8'-10' away.
The fact that the level remains the same and is not effected by increase the audio signal level except to "mask" the noise indicates a very poor or faulty amplifier. Now, I know that I shouldn't expect too much from the internal amplification quality wise in a unit such as this. I am also aware that they use highly efficient speaker drivers to mate with low power amp output which in itself would combine to make any noise more audible but this seems to be a little too much even for a TV set. I bypass the internal audio system when playing DVDs as the player's audio outs are inputted directly to my pre-amp but for all other viewing I prefer to use tv's internal sound system.

Are there any other owners of this particular or similar sets who are experiencing the same problem? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
This is a widely reported problem with the new Tosh sets. Not all owners are experiencing it, so it may be restricted to early production sets. A call to Toshiba or your selling dealer to get it fixed might be in order.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I'd disagree with Steve. A call to a service rep is definitely in order. That hiss ain't right and it's an easy fix.
Jan

Chris Strasz

Stunt Coordinator
Yep yep, this is a pretty popular problem with the Toshibas. Fortunately it's easiliy fixable. A new capacitor(sp?) is needed and from what I heard it fixes the problem completely. Make sure you get on the Toshiba rep about this as a lot of them do not acknowledge the fix but it *is* out there. It may not be as hard to get them to locate the fix now since it seems like they've acknowledged how to fix it.

SteveDev

Agent
Had the hiss on my 50HDX82. As mentioned, quick call to Toshiba customer service, they acknoledged the problem and said Toshiba Japan had authorized a fix.

3 days later, tech came over, removed the sound board from the TV, soldered a new capacitator on it, and no more hiss.

Regards.

Telephoned Toshiba Canada this morning and was told that cap needed to fix the problem was not in stock. It would take only 4-6 WEEKS to get it. :angry:
I then phoned one of their contracted service companies that I have used before and told them the situation and quoted them the part #. They checked the specs and called back saying that they had the equivalent cap in stock.
After assurances that it was a high quality part I arranged for them to come out this afternoon to do the job.
Now that's what I call service :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks to you all for the help you have given.
Ain't the 'net a great thing or what! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks