Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

king kong (1933)w/ deleted scenes & restored print in new jersey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 of 33 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 20 2002 - 03:52 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your West Side Story experience, Brian. That's really sad. You'd think people would appreciate the lasting power of great filmmaking.

Ooh, but even thinking about those 1971 screenings of Kong makes me mad now, lo these many years since. One may as well laugh at all people from an earlier time.

Sorry to drag the thread off target.

Mitchell, I saw the Janus Films logo preceding some screenings of King Kong. I also saw the film in 35mm a number of times in 1976.

#22 of 33 OFFLINE   Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted October 20 2002 - 04:25 PM

I think MGM could make a quick buck re-releasing West Side Story as a "Sing-A-Long Sound of Music" kind of thing.

#23 of 33 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 21 2002 - 12:04 AM

does anybody know if this print will come to the UK as well

thanks to all for the info and the link to the FAQ

tremendous stuff

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#24 of 33 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,590 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 21 2002 - 02:05 AM

Oscar

I don't think so. The Loews Jersey theater is a landmark movie palace that is currently undergoing extensive restoration and has just recently in the last year or so, started showing films periodically.

As far as I know, King Kong was privately obtained to be shown at this theater and is not part of a new release pattern for the film.

I'm sure Pete or Mitchell will chime in soon with more accurate info.

I'm actually contemplating bringing my 5 year old nephew to this screening but am a bit hesitant. Then again, King Kong is the earliest film I remember seeing so perhaps it's a good idea.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#25 of 33 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 21 2002 - 02:15 AM

Tino

Thanks for the info anyway. I guess I will wait until the DVD comes out as a plane ticket would be just a bit expensive for me to see a movie on the other side of the planet.

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#26 of 33 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted October 21 2002 - 03:17 AM

Quote:
I'm sure Pete or Mitchell will chime in soon with more accurate info.
Hey, that's me!

No, this is a regular repertory booking direct through Warner Bros. Classics division, not a private print. Bob has a good relationship with them to make sure they get good prints, but this version is available to any theatre that cares to book it.

King Kong is not currently on any specific re-release (unlike, for example, Lawrence of Arabia), so you should ask any local theatres that specialize in repertory product to try and get it. Next year is the 70th anniversary, so there will certainly be enough prints floating around.

Tino, bring him along! The more, the merrier - I'm bringing my seven-year-old with me (though he's seen it on LaserDisc before).
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#27 of 33 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted October 22 2002 - 01:55 AM

About what Jack Briggs and Brian W. said about audiences laughing at classic movies: I had a similar experience with VERTIGO at the time of the first big re-release in 1984. It was awful sitting there surounded by so-called sophisticated New Yorkers howling with laughter at one of my favorite films, one I hadn't seen in more than 10 years. One of their biggest laughs came when James Stewart carried Kim Novak out of San Francisco Bay because she still had her high-heeled shoes on. But there's a happy ending here: the audiences for classic movies must have grown up or something because in 1996, when the restored Harris/Katz 70mm version was released in that same city, the entire film played to a spellbound audience.

--Bill

#28 of 33 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,661 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 02:19 AM

Bill, the audiences that we've been getting at the Galaxy Theatre Big Screen Classics Series (www.bigscreenclassics.com) have been very respectful, as have the Loew's Jersey crowds. I was always concerned about that mentality, and I've been very pleasantly surprised.

We had over 700 people for FORBIDDEN PLANET at the Loew's last spring. With just a few exceptions, the audience was really good. However, there were some snickers during BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS. I wonder why...

Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#29 of 33 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,598 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 04:00 AM

The Kong footage was always derived from 35mm nitrate.

The quality problem was that it was originally duped dry gate, which exposed all of the scratches and wear.

This footage was cut into the Janus dupe neg at Guffanti Labs in New York.

It would be nice to see a proper restoration of Kong either based upon the European picture elements which are of higher quality and pre-date the domestic darkened dupes...

or by going back to the original negative, which I believe to exist, although outside of the current owner's vaults.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#30 of 33 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 05:16 AM

Mr. Harris: Do any of your industry sources know if next year's King Kong DVD has been sourced from a restored print?

...the entire film played to a spellbound audience...

No pun, of course! Posted Image

I am delighted to hear that a more mature audience attended the screening of the restored print. How can one laugh at what is arguably one of the ten, twenty best films ever made?

As for The Brain From Planet Arous: What a coincidence. I was looking at the DVD last weekend as part of a "Friday-night flicks" home-theater session. What a hoot!

#31 of 33 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,661 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 07:36 AM

Truly one of John Agar's greatest performances!

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#32 of 33 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 07:38 AM

Academy Award-worthy effort, to be sure. Posted Image

#33 of 33 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted October 22 2002 - 11:48 AM

When THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS came to an end at the Loew's Jersey last spring, I turned to my friends and said, "That was better than A BEAUTIFUL MIND!" (which had just won the Best Picture Oscar). And I meant it! I should put it this way: if I had to choose only one of those two movies to take to a desert island, without any doubt it would be THE BRAIN.

--Bill