-

Photo

"It's Like Being There".....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Rich H

Rich H

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 03:19 PM

"It's like being there."

That's a quote from a friend who watched some DVDs on my Panasonic plasma screen last night. What I find amazing is how often that sentiment is expressed by people who see
images on my plasma. I don't mean sheer enthusiasm, like: "Wow, this looks fantastic." I mean specific comments on the realism, the window-on-reality feel of the viewing experience. When I was auditioning plasmas, I constantly heard comments from other customers in front of the plasmas: "It just looks real"-- "Like being on the set"-- "Like I'm there." Now that I own a plasma, these comments are a regular occurrence from guests.

Which leads me to wonder if enthusiasts of other display technologies encounter the same comments. Do you Projection/RPTV/CRT owners get the "realism" comments?

I've yet to see a RPTV/Projector/CRT image that had the sort of realism I see in good plasma displays (and I've seen many, many great displays). But that's me. What about you guys?

Thanks,

Rich.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 10:57 PM

How big is your screen?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Rich H

Rich H

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 12:23 AM

A mere 42 inches. Obviously not big enough to give an immersive experience, but just big enough to suggest a window effect, I suppose.

Rich H.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   David Hicks

David Hicks

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 03:09 AM

I've only seen plasma displays in crappy B&M stores and have always thought they didn't look very good (dull color compared to my FP, video artifacts, etc...). I suspect it's the setup at the stores (as with most other things at the typical B&M's). I would really love to see a properly setup plasma monitor for an accurate comparison.

Regarding your question related to realism comments, I get responses similar to yours from just about every new visitor. My projector is quite entry level (AE-100), but what it lacks in resolution it makes up for with colors and sheer size!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Mark Lehmkuhl

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 06:26 AM

I've got a large room (20x30) so I don't consider anything less than 57".

That said, I'd have to say that the plazma sets are exceptional (except for their current size). If $$ were no object that's what I'd buy today. I own a 6.5 year old 4:3 CRT RPTV, and I would not buy another at this point. So I'm going to ride my set out for a few more years. Then when I'm in the market to replace my tv, I will definitely not look at CRT's. DLP, Plasma, LCOS, and possibly some other technologies. should be quite interesting by then.