Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony RM-VL900 Remote Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   David Connor

David Connor

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 04:27 AM

I have one question for you guys that have purchased the Sony RM-VL900....please explain to me what this sentence in Sony's description means:

"Component selection buttons can be reassigned so you can control most other components from any component select button"

Is that their way of saying "Punch Trough" controls?

This is really the only reason I am looking to replace my satallite remote...I can't stand switching back and forth from the sat. function to the receiver function to just change the volume! I also like the idea of the macros. Setting it up so EVERYTHING turns on and off together...nice!

Please help me out to deduce this Sony-ism...thanks guys!!

David Connor
(OlllO)

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 04:12 PM

I own a VL900 and I'm not sure what that means either.
One of the things you can do though, is have the volume buttons control the reciever no matter what component you are using. That way you don't have to switch to the reciever function to change the volume. This is a simple change described on pages 21 and 22 of the manual.
Larry Hoffman

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Julio De Luis

Julio De Luis

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted September 04 2002 - 08:25 PM

Hey David,

I own this remote and I believe what they mean by the sentence is if in case you run out of buttons to program you can use any of the component buttons (ex. TV, CD, MD, Tape, etc.) in case your not using it and you want to use it as another programmable button.

An example would be let's say I run out of button's to program for my TV and I have no other space to program an extra control for the TV and I am not using the MD component button, instead of not using it, I can instead use it to assign the extra TV button.

But there might also be another meaning to the sentence. The sentence might be saying that in case if you want to be able to program another tv, apart from the one you are using, you can switch the component buttons to control the other tv. Example you can switch the CD component button to control instead a TV or vice verse.
(i.e. CD -> TV, TV -> CD)

I hope this kind of helps and that you can kind of understand what I wrote.

- Julio -

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 12:59 AM

Quote:
The sentence might be saying that in case if you want to be able to program another tv, apart from the one you are using, you can switch the component buttons to control the other tv. Example you can switch the CD component button to control instead a TV or vice verse.

David,

Julio's correct, all it means is that although a button is labeled, for example CD, you would be able to reassign this button to control any component of your choice.

Also, as Larry pointed out, the remote does have volume punch through.

I think this is one of the better remotes available for the money,Posted Image offering macro buttons and learning capability to practically every button.....I only wish it was backlit like the Radio Shack remotes, of which I've gone through three of due to the eventual wearing out (unresponsiveness) of some of the buttons, otherwise, also a very good remote for the money.

Vin

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   David Connor

David Connor

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 01:19 AM

Again I am very satisfied with the amount of knowledge and helpfullness that this forum provides. Thank you guys for all your help. Now I have to decide WHICH remote to go with. I am with you Vin I really like the Sony, although I have only ever used there low-end stuff before, I liked the button layout ect. One other thing I remember from using any older Sony universal, was that after a VERY short time (less than 6 mo.) the lettering printed on the case (not on the buttons) began to wear off, and was completely gone within a year. Can anyone let me know if this is the case with the VL900? Not a HUGE deal, but with more functions, I won't be able to remember EVERY key like on the older one. Thanks again for any help!12 Posted Image
David Connor
(OlllO)

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Julio De Luis

Julio De Luis

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 03:50 AM

Hey David,

I am glad the information has helped you out.

But if your worried about the lettering wearing off don't. I have owned this remote for more than a year and none of the lettering on the case has faded and I use this remote like if it the last remote in the house. I use it to control 3 TV's, DVD,2 VCR's, Receiver and a mini stereo.

This is a very wonderful and one of the best universal remotes that I have owned so don't worry.

Good luck. Posted Image

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   David Connor

David Connor

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 09:18 AM

Thank you to everyone! The VL900 it is!!15
David Connor
(OlllO)