What's new

Anyone get their version of "Jaguar", Mac OS 10.2? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
I've read some info on Macintouch, but I'd like to hear if any HTF members have received their CD early.

Looking to hear more about it here, thanks.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Not yet, though it "Left FedEx Sort Facility MEMPHIS TN" at 3PM today.

I'm too busy studying while I convert my music to mp3 again. Thanks to a defective orig iPod battery I was able to upgrade to the 20GB model for $100. What a difference in space it is. Plus, I've had access to Jaguar for a few weeks now and don't need to install it.

Looks like the updates will be coming soon. Photoshop just put out a 7.0.1 update a little while ago. There are many drivers broken in 10.2.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Some of the updates in Jaguar are nice but none are worth what Apple is charging. I would love to add it but for the money it's not worth it to me.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I disagree. I think the retail price of $129 (but less when you look around) is worth it. I'd buy it just for the very noticeable speed increase it provides and for the Rendezvous networking software. But throw in the great new address book, a badly needed update of the Finder, and a redesigned Watson Sherlock and it's easily worth the money for me. On the so-so level, I likely don't see myself using iChat very much or Inkwell for that matter.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I get it for free because I'm in the Apple Developer Connection, but I have to agree, it's not worth $129. Even though I get all OS updates and releases for free, I still paid for OS X 10.0. Jag is what OS X should have been all along.

The address book is completely useless to me since I use Entourage. iChat's silly since AOL has their own client, so which do you use? The feature set's always going to be out of synch.

Mike

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm really looking forward to the under-the-hood improvements in Jaguar. Full kerberos support is worth a LOT to me, as is IPV6. I was going to spend some time trying to hunt down a copy today, but then I found out that we're getting it for all of our systems here at work (about 8 of us in my department use Macs), so now I don't have to buy it :)

Steve J

Agent
I got a free copy from Apple a few weeks ago, and have been using it ever since. WAY faster, some very cool features...and worth its price!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Dual 1Ghz 1.5GB RAM - 50% finder speed improvement!

The $129 was worth what my friend paid to speed up his smoking rig.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, I was a day late in taking advantage of the Amazon $50 rebate deal. :frowning: So I'm still holding out for a good deal.
How is 10.2's Mail app?
I've been using the OSX version of Eudora for a while now and thing are fine, but I'm really lured by 10.2 Mail's updated spam filters. I've been getting hit with tons of spam as of late, and need to do something about it. That, along with the speed increase and updated Sherlock/Finder finds will be worth the upgrade for me.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I was waiting to install until the updated release of ASM. :) Now that I've had a few days to play with it, I have to say I'm very pleased with the overall performance boost (even in the dreaded Classic mode.) The only exception is Sherlock 3. It occasionally seems to choke when switching channels and searches seem slower than those done in Watson. Printing is much improved. Haven't played much with the built-in mail app because I'm satisfied with the one I'm currently using (CE Software's QuickMail Pro 3.1.) I am eager to try out the junk mail filters, though. Probably in a few weeks when I jettison my Mac.com mail accounts I'll try out the OS X mail client to see how clean the filters can keep my new accounts. By the way, Rendezvous is fantastic. Had it up and seeing the few Windows machines we have in no time. Also love the new Address Book. Way superior to the previous version with the LDAP support now offered. The only drawback now...having to break down and purchase a new QT Pro key. :rolleyes

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Is anyone using iChat? I'm trying and trying to get connected with my AOL friend but we just can't seem to see each other. If any HTF members could help me out by just connecting with me at some point I would be super-appreciative. I'm using my mac.com address - [email protected] - if you want to try and look me up. Cheers!
Pieter

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I had success in finding help setting up iChat with this thread oh so many moons ago, and now I have a similar request. I've hooked up my camera to iChatAV, but not surprisingly there is no one on my Buddy List with comparable equipment for me to video chat with. If anyone on the forum is in the same boat and would like to do some testing of this feature, please look for me. My AIM name is st8rboard. Thanks,

Pieter

NicholasL

Second Unit
Oh my god PS Nystrom...you're last post was basically a year ago. You must have REALLY had to dig to find this again.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Thanks Michael, I'll check those out. How do you like the iSight? I noticed it's $130 with the education discount - very tempting if I can get my out of state family to go broadband. Does it provide a better picture than a DV camcorder?

Pieter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks