-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Ok I give up what the hell is a cthulhu? [spelling corrected by admin out of fear]

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#1 of 97 Luis S

Luis S

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 01:47 PM

Ive seen this pop up on the forum a few times.What is it?Its driving me nuts wondering whats so funny about this?Please help me understand!

Luis S
Neo: "Its been an honor sir."

Morpheus: " No,the honor is still mine."

#2 of 97 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 02:18 PM

This is going to be a very, very fun thread.

Start here

#3 of 97 Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 02:19 PM

Cthulhu is the creation of writer Howard Phillips Lovecraft. Try doing a "Google" search or, better still, solicit information from the HTF's resident expert, Julie K. I'm guessing what she doesn't know about Lovecraft probably ain't worth knowing.

#4 of 97 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 03:38 PM

Cthulu is a creature stuck in my basement. He likes Pad Thai and young virgins. End of story.

Posted Image

#5 of 97 Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 04:56 PM

Luis S wrote:

Quote:
Ok, I give up what the hell is a cthulu?

Blaine Skerry wrote:

Quote:
Cthulhu is the creation of writer Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

The undersea-dwelling, octopoidal central figure of a "mythos", a whole Lovecraft-concocted mythology, and member of the "pantheon" of alien beings (The Old Ones---actually he's only a "cousin") that originates from outside of our dimension. They once ruled the Earth, but were banished (by their opponents (Nodens and company). However, they constantly threaten to break through from outside of known space---most of them dwell between the spaces---and re-establish dominion over the Earth. They usually either (a) devour people outright or (b) have "obscene relations" with them, which often results in horrific hybrid offspring. (It's horror fantasy. Go figure.)

In Lovecraftian parlance (please note the correct spelling), the name rhymes (sort of) with "toodle-loo".

The signature story you should read is, of course, "The Call of Cthulhu".
"Delenda est . . . . "

#6 of 97 Luis S

Luis S

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 06:07 PM

Wow,I dont wanna offend anybody.But after following the links you guys provided and reading into it, that has to be the corniest damn creation ever!Posted Image I mean really,head of an octopuss,scaly skin,an appearance that drives people mad?With laughter maybe.Is this thing a popular book?I even found some "official cults" For this thing! I was wondering what this thing was cause of all the references Ive seen on the internet.I must say this is as silly as that whole "all your base are belong to us" thing from way back.Have to admit though it would probably make for a fun sci-fi B movie!Posted Image Has there been one made?Thanks for your help everybody this "Cthulhu" was driving me insane!Posted Image

#7 of 97 Kenneth

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 12:16 AM

Well, the Cthulhu Mythos is sort of an aquired taste Posted Image The movie adaptations of the materials to date have been pretty dismal too. Although Sandra Dee does give a "moving" performance in "The Dunwich Horror". The Cthulhu fans might get a kick out of this link:

http://penny-arcade....002-06-28&res=l

Cheers,

Kenneth

#8 of 97 Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 12:20 AM

Quote:
They once ruled the Earth, but were banished (by their opponents (Nodens and company)
That's really more the invention of August Derleth. While Lovecraft's various extraterrestrial and extradimensional species did fight amoungst themselves, none cared about humanity as to actually banish or imprison any others in order to protect us. Cthulhu lies dead but dreaming because the stars are not right - apparently waiting for some change in the nature of the universe itself when he and his kind can once again seep between the stars.

As to the exact nature of Cthulhu, it's best to go to the source: HP Lovecraft. Here are a few paragraphs describing matters:
Quote:

They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky. Those Old Ones were gone now, inside the earth and under the sea; but their dead bodies had told their secrets in dreams to the first men, who formed a cult which had never died. This was that cult, and the prisoners said it had always existed and always would exist, hidden in distant wastes and dark places all over the world until the time when the great priest Cthulhu, from his dark house in the mighty city of R'lyeh under the waters, should rise and bring the earth again beneath his sway. Some day he would call, when the stars were ready, and the secret cult would always be waiting to liberate him.

Old Castro remembered bits of hideous legend that paled the speculations of theosophists and made man and the world seem recent and transient indeed. There had been aeons when other Things ruled on the earth, and They had had great cities. Remains of Them, he said the deathless Chinamen had told him, were still be found as Cyclopean stones on islands in the Pacific. They all died vast epochs of time before men came, but there were arts which could revive Them when the stars had come round again to the right positions in the cycle of eternity. They had, indeed, come themselves from the stars, and brought Their images with Them.
These Great Old Ones, Castro continued, were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape - for did not this star-fashioned image prove it? - but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die. They all lay in stone houses in Their great city of R'lyeh, preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious surrection when the stars and the earth might once more be ready for Them. But at that time some force from outside must serve to liberate Their bodies. The spells that preserved them intact likewise prevented Them from making an initial move, and They could only lie awake in the dark and think whilst uncounted millions of years rolled by. They knew all that was occurring in the universe, for Their mode of speech was transmitted thought. Even now They talked in Their tombs. When, after infinities of chaos, the first men came, the Great Old Ones spoke to the sensitive among them by moulding their dreams; for only thus could Their language reach the fleshly minds of mammals.

Then, whispered Castro, those first men formed the cult around tall idols which the Great Ones shewed them; idols brought in dim eras from dark stars. That cult would never die till the stars came right again, and the secret priests would take great Cthulhu from His tomb to revive His subjects and resume His rule of earth. The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom. Meanwhile the cult, by appropriate rites, must keep alive the memory of those ancient ways and shadow forth the prophecy of their return.

In the elder time chosen men had talked with the entombed Old Ones in dreams, but then something happened. The great stone city R'lyeh, with its monoliths and sepulchres, had sunk beneath the waves; and the deep waters, full of the one primal mystery through which not even thought can pass, had cut off the spectral intercourse. But memory never died, and the high-priests said that the city would rise again when the stars were right. Then came out of the earth the black spirits of earth, mouldy and shadowy, and full of dim rumours picked up in caverns beneath forgotten sea-bottoms. But of them old Castro dared not speak much. He cut himself off hurriedly, and no amount of persuasion or subtlety could elicit more in this direction. The size of the Old Ones, too, he curiously declined to mention. Of the cult, he said that he thought the centre lay amid the pathless desert of Arabia, where Irem, the City of Pillars, dreams hidden and untouched. It was not allied to the European witch-cult, and was virtually unknown beyond its members. No book had ever really hinted of it, though the deathless Chinamen said that there were double meanings in the Necronomicon of the mad Arab Abdul Alhazred which the initiated might read as they chose, especially the much-discussed couplet:

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

There you go. Cthulhu in a nutshell.

Here's a letter from Lovecraft that is often considered the source for how one should pronounce Cthulhu:
Quote:
The actual sound – as nearly as human organs could imitate it or human letters record it – may be taken as something like Khlûl’-hloo, with the first syllable pronounced gutturally and very thickly. The u is about like that in full; and the first syllable is not unlike klul in sound, since the h represents the guttural thickness. The second syllable is not very well rendered – the l sound being unrepresented. (to Duane Rimel, 23 July 1934)

However, he did write others with differing pronounciations and was heard to say "Koot-u-lew" by a friend. In any event, the name was never meant to be said by a human mouth.

As for the scary/silly question: well, no, it's not 'all your base are belong to us'. There are quite a few people who have a lot of fun with it (I guess your school didn't have a Campus Crusade for Cthulhu? What a pity.) but HP Lovecraft wrote straight horror without a drop of humor in it. The horror lies not in Cthulhu's (or Yog-Sothoth's or any of the others) appearance, but in what they represent. They represent a blind, meaningless universe in which the cares and concerns of humankind mean nothing. If Lovecraft's works don't resonate with you, that's fine. Most people don't care for his writings. But to say they are 'silly' based on just a description of one creature is missing the point completely.

Here is where one can read the story where Cthulhu makes his first appearance. The opening paragraph pretty much sums up Lovecraft's vision of horror:

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

I suppose you either "get it" or you don't. Frankly, I feel sorry for those who don't. Posted Image
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#9 of 97 Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 12:35 AM

One can hardly go any distance these days without finding Cthulhu in an online comic strip. One of my favorites is the User Friendly strip where Cthulhu is a semi-regular character. He makes his first appearance here and wrestles with the question of plush doll versions of himself here and here.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#10 of 97 Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 01:04 AM

Favorite t-shirts seen:

"Cthulhu Brand Tequila: This time, the worm eats YOU"

"Vote Cthulhu: Why settle for the lesser evil?"

Posted Image

#11 of 97 Kim Donald

Kim Donald

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 03:13 AM

Julie K thanks for the H.P. Lovecraft Library Link I was just thinking I wanted some Lovecraft E-Books on my Pocket PC.
kd

#12 of 97 Tony_Woods

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 03:19 AM

I love Lovecrafts works! I'm reading Lurker at the Threshold for the 3rd time currently lol. Anyone know much information about the link to the Metallica song, Call of The Ktulu? I heard it was inspired by the book, but spelled differently due to copyright reasons. Also, anyone seen the movie "Cthulu Mansion"? Not bad, but pretty low budget.

#13 of 97 Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 03:23 AM

Quote:
Anyone know much information about the link to the Metallica song, Call of The Ktulu?
I don't know why they spelled it that way, but 'Cthulhu' isn't copyrighted.

It's a decent enough song, but I think Cthulhu Dawn by Cradle of Filth is quite a bit better. But for all out Lovecraft songs, you can't go wrong with Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, especially their Cthulhu Dreams.

#14 of 97 Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 03:34 AM

The name of the song is "Call of Ktulu". Not "Call of the Ktulu".

In my opinion, the greatest song from Metallica-of-old.

#15 of 97 Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
...that has to be the corniest damn creation ever!

You and I agree on that one, brother.

#16 of 97 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 04:20 AM

Call Of Cthulhu

http://www.gizmology...rks/cthulhu.htm

#17 of 97 TimDoss

TimDoss

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 04:39 AM

The Thing That Should Not Be is another Metallica song
inspired by Lovecraft/Chtulu.

Messenger of fear in sight
Dark deception kills the light

Hybrid children watch the sea
Pray for Father, roaming free

Fearless wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
great Old One
forbidden site
He searches
Hunter of the shadows is rising
immortal
in madness You dwell

Crawling chaos, underground
cult has summoned, twisted sound

Out from ruins once possessed
fallen city, living death

Fearless wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
Timeless sleep
has been upset
He awakens
Hunter of the shadows is rising
immortal
in madness You dwell

Not dead which eternal lie
stranger eons Death may die

Drain you of your sanity
face The Thing That Should Not Be

#18 of 97 John Spencer

John Spencer

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 04:49 AM

For what it's worth, the recent film Dagon was a pretty damned entertaining rendition of 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth', even if the title was a bit misleading.
Never heard of this. I'm a honky.

#19 of 97 Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 04:54 AM

Yes, I really enjoyed Dagon. It's the best Lovecraft adaptation yet and a damn fine horror movie as well.

BTW, here's a large list of Cthulhu/Lovecraft related songs and bands. The site, hplovecraft.com, is a great resource for all things Lovecraftian.

#20 of 97 Luis S

Luis S

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 05:36 AM

Hey Julie,spoken like a true fan!Posted Image I figured I might get a response like that from someone,but like I said I didnt mean to offend any fans.I'm not trying to put down all his writing,but to me this one is just plain silly.If your going to write about something that "represents a blind, meaningless universe in which the cares and concerns of humankind mean nothing." For crying out loud give me something that doesnt look like it came from a bad sea monster movie Posted Image If you like it fine,but I was unimpressed after reading about it,but there were a few things that did catch my interest.Although I feel this way I'd be glad if someone could give recomendations on his other works that might interest me.Sorry if my comments bothered you Julie but you know what they say about opinions Posted Image (Oh and for the record my school would have been lucky to have a decent art program let alone a "Campus Crusade for Cthulhu" Posted Image unfortunate I know )
Thanks for replying everyone!

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow