Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

matching ev-t35's to 6" woofer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Geno

Geno

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 07:10 AM

I found (3) electrovoice t-35's [originals] and wanted to build myself 3 matching front speakers. what woofer would match well with the tweeter horn? I aquired the t-35's because of the retro looking horns and their reputation. if anyone has worked with these before, please advise

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted July 30 2002 - 03:07 AM

The EV T-35s are good tweeters. As far as woofers go, what are you looking for? If you are going to match them to a subwoofer, then I would recommend going with something in the higher efficiency catagory, like the Eminence Alpha 6, at 97db/w. I would probably even be inclined to use an 8" driver, like the Eminence Alpha 8, or the Beta 8. These are all rated at 97db/w, and can all use a relatively small box (under 1 ft3). The T-35 is a diffraction horn, which means it should be mounted in the vertical direction, which will give it its greatest horizontal dispersion. The T-35 was rated at 104db/w, so you will need to 'pad' it down to match the woofers output. It was made to cross over at 3500 Hz. I would use at least a 2nd order crossover, as the VC is rated at 5w long term average. You may also want to consider using 2 Alpha 6 woofers per box, in D'Appolito configuration. This would boost overall efficiency even more, and you may not need to pad the tweeter. This would give you a very high efficiency system, easily used with just a couple of watts.