Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Star Wars 2 AOTC DVD: will it be the film or digital ending & what's the difference?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Johnny G

Johnny G

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 08:11 PM

I never knew there was a difference til reading it on the net so will the DVD have both & does anyone know the difference.

#2 of 30 MichaelAW

MichaelAW

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 09:16 PM

Don't know if the DVD will have it, but the difference is that while in the film version, there's a shot of Anakin's terminator hand next to Padme's during the wedding scene, the digital version shows them holding those hands together.
Movies my dog is afraid of

#3 of 30 Johnny G

Johnny G

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 09:32 PM

that's weird, why did they do that?

#4 of 30 MichaelAW

MichaelAW

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 09:41 PM

Because they're in love and are getting married! :P)

As for why there are two versions of the film, look in the official Ep 2 thread in the Movies forum, it was debated there endlessly earlier this summer.

Movies my dog is afraid of

#5 of 30 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted July 26 2002 - 11:35 PM

The reason is Lucas wanted to make a few adjustments to the film prior to release, but the Film version needs more time to change than the digital one. (there are more changes than just Padme holding Anakin's mechanical hand)

It will probably be the digital version which ends up on the DVD

#6 of 30 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 12:54 AM

that is great to hear and thanks for the update

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 30 Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 02:13 AM

Great, now everyone can argue which version is the original theatrical release. Posted Image
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#8 of 30 Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 03:31 AM

I prefer the digital version ending, it's small but works a little better, and yes, the digital version was amazing.Posted Image

#9 of 30 Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 05:36 AM

This issue was actually raised in this recent thread, however I'll leave this one open as it concentrates fully on this specific issue (where as the other one was more about the release date).

We're probably going to get NEITHER theatrical edition. It was said by one of the folks at ILM at Celebration 2 that three additional scenes had nearly been finished to be put back in for the DVD, we're clearly going to get a slightly extended cut as we did with TPM if true.

So if that becomes the case, people will surely argue over not having the original theatrical release. They of course will be faced with the issue that there were two different theatrical releases. Posted Image

Dan

#10 of 30 Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 06:16 AM

So what were the other changes made to the digital 'print'?
Do it Right or Don't Do it at All.®

#11 of 30 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
So what were the other changes made to the digital 'print'?

Do you mean the theatrical digital print? If so...no other changes. Just a different shot of the hand.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#12 of 30 Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 07:02 AM

That's not true, Matt. Various other digital shots were altered and fixed. The hand shot was the most blatant of the changes, the rest were minor CG fixes I believe.

Dan

#13 of 30 DarrenA

DarrenA

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 09:19 AM

More importantly, will the AOTC DVD be a direct digital-to-digital transfer for DVD? Or will we get a film to video transfer like the first Star Wars DVD?
Darren Alcorn
The Academy Home Theater, Atlanta Home Theater Group

#14 of 30 Clint B

Clint B

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 03:30 PM

Don't know for sure, but I've heard that the DVD will be a film-to-DVD transfer, supposedly because Lucas wants consistency in the way all 6 films will look when they are eventually released to DVD. So far, we've only got one film that was shot digitally, so perhaps Lucas is making the right choice.

#15 of 30 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 04:29 PM

Okay, Dan...you're right. I thought Mike meant additional shots/scenes, etc...

As far as the digital-to-digital transfer...I've also heard that Lucas is going to transfer from film.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#16 of 30 Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 06:30 PM

Transferring this thing from film to DVD would be one of the most disapointing things that they could do.

If George wanted consistancy, then he should have shot all film.

I will be truly amazed if Episode 2 is not a direct to digital transfer on DVD. A extremely high quality direct to digital DVD transfer would sell more people on the benefits of digital cinematography.

Doing it from film would probably be more costly, and most importantly, would degrade the image one generation from what it could have been.

#17 of 30 Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 05:01 AM

Yep, it should definitely be digital to digital. I love how almost everyone has 'heard' that the disc will be transferred from film to digital. I have also 'heard' the same thing, but as with everything on the net, there's been nothing officially released in print on the matter. It may have been mentioned at one of the conventions, but I'll believe it when I see it.

mike.

Do it Right or Don't Do it at All.®

#18 of 30 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 05:17 AM

What was said about the film to tape transfer was when we asked lucasfilm (via Bill Hunt I believe) if TPM would be a film or digital transfer.

The answer applied to TPM, and it did indeed say that he wanted a consistent look. He very well could have changed his mind. So, I won't be surprised if it goes either way.

#19 of 30 Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 09:13 AM

I think this movie should come with a version and build number on it, like a computer program. That way we know which version we're dealing with.
My DVDs

#20 of 30 Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 01:16 PM

Quote:
I think this movie should come with a version and build number on it, like a computer program. That way we know which version we're dealing with.

My best guess is that the DVD will contain an entirely new version of the film, that represents neither the original film or DLP presentations. If Lucasfilm kept tweaking the film until the DLP version needed to be ready, I would imagine that they'd also keep tweaking it until the DVD version needs to be ready.

DJ

Forum Nav Content I Follow