What's new

Star Wars 2 AOTC DVD: will it be the film or digital ending & what's the difference? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I never knew there was a difference til reading it on the net so will the DVD have both & does anyone know the difference.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Don't know if the DVD will have it, but the difference is that while in the film version, there's a shot of Anakin's terminator hand next to Padme's during the wedding scene, the digital version shows them holding those hands together.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Because they're in love and are getting married! :p)

As for why there are two versions of the film, look in the official Ep 2 thread in the Movies forum, it was debated there endlessly earlier this summer.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The reason is Lucas wanted to make a few adjustments to the film prior to release, but the Film version needs more time to change than the digital one. (there are more changes than just Padme holding Anakin's mechanical hand)

It will probably be the digital version which ends up on the DVD

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I prefer the digital version ending, it's small but works a little better, and yes, the digital version was amazing.:D

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
This issue was actually raised in this recent thread, however I'll leave this one open as it concentrates fully on this specific issue (where as the other one was more about the release date).
We're probably going to get NEITHER theatrical edition. It was said by one of the folks at ILM at Celebration 2 that three additional scenes had nearly been finished to be put back in for the DVD, we're clearly going to get a slightly extended cut as we did with TPM if true.
So if that becomes the case, people will surely argue over not having the original theatrical release. They of course will be faced with the issue that there were two different theatrical releases. :D
Dan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
That's not true, Matt. Various other digital shots were altered and fixed. The hand shot was the most blatant of the changes, the rest were minor CG fixes I believe.

Dan

DarrenA

Second Unit
More importantly, will the AOTC DVD be a direct digital-to-digital transfer for DVD? Or will we get a film to video transfer like the first Star Wars DVD?

Clint B

Second Unit
Don't know for sure, but I've heard that the DVD will be a film-to-DVD transfer, supposedly because Lucas wants consistency in the way all 6 films will look when they are eventually released to DVD. So far, we've only got one film that was shot digitally, so perhaps Lucas is making the right choice.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Okay, Dan...you're right. I thought Mike meant additional shots/scenes, etc...

As far as the digital-to-digital transfer...I've also heard that Lucas is going to transfer from film.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Transferring this thing from film to DVD would be one of the most disapointing things that they could do.

If George wanted consistancy, then he should have shot all film.

I will be truly amazed if Episode 2 is not a direct to digital transfer on DVD. A extremely high quality direct to digital DVD transfer would sell more people on the benefits of digital cinematography.

Doing it from film would probably be more costly, and most importantly, would degrade the image one generation from what it could have been.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Yep, it should definitely be digital to digital. I love how almost everyone has 'heard' that the disc will be transferred from film to digital. I have also 'heard' the same thing, but as with everything on the net, there's been nothing officially released in print on the matter. It may have been mentioned at one of the conventions, but I'll believe it when I see it.

mike.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
What was said about the film to tape transfer was when we asked lucasfilm (via Bill Hunt I believe) if TPM would be a film or digital transfer.

The answer applied to TPM, and it did indeed say that he wanted a consistent look. He very well could have changed his mind. So, I won't be surprised if it goes either way.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I think this movie should come with a version and build number on it, like a computer program. That way we know which version we're dealing with.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I think this movie should come with a version and build number on it, like a computer program. That way we know which version we're dealing with.
My best guess is that the DVD will contain an entirely new version of the film, that represents neither the original film or DLP presentations. If Lucasfilm kept tweaking the film until the DLP version needed to be ready, I would imagine that they'd also keep tweaking it until the DVD version needs to be ready.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks