Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Denon 4802

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 RandyRush

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 09:09 AM

Just picked up my new 4802 today; going to start hooking it up tonight! any suggestions or tricks that would be helpful to me? thx

#2 of 16 Geoff S

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 03:13 PM

One thing I found helpful was to read the PDF manual through like 3 times on Denon's website before I got my 4802. It's not exactly the best written manual in the World, so you may have to go through it some to get it all down.

Also know you're speaker distances, to help you breeze through setup.

Despite what some said I didn't find setup hard at all, and I was already programming other devices, and 'Key Learns' into the Atkis 800 remote by the 2nd hour.

I'm curious, after you're done setting up how long did it take you? Took me approx 2 hours to wire it up, and do system setup, but some of that time I spent re-conditioning my speaker cables. See, it paid to read the manual many many times, and know that thing inside out Posted Image .

If you have any specific questions about the 4802 feel free to ask, it's got so much stuff.

#3 of 16 Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 01:36 AM

Congrats on your new purchase. The 4802 is a really nice receiver. I talked a friend into purchasing it and I set it up for him last November. Setup was a breeze, took about an hour. What components are you connecting to it?

The only thing I did not like about it was the remote so I had him buy a pronto.
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

THE LOFT

#4 of 16 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 01:42 AM

I love my receiver but I have to say that for me the setup was certainly NOT a breeze. But then again, I though I could do it without the manual Posted Image

I do agree that remote is absolutely dreadful.

--
Holadem

#5 of 16 RandyRush

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 02:47 AM

Thanks for the tips: I am connecting the following:

RCA 61310 HDTV
Mits 8020 progscan DVD
Apex 1100W dvd
Philips DSR6000 Directivo
Toshiba VCR
Speakers: Celestion Fronts, Klipsch side surrounds, Polk M-1's-back surrounds

Didn't get it all finished last night, so I will complete it tonight hopefully.

Thanks again

#6 of 16 RandyRush

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 02:48 AM

Oh yeah; I have the pronto pro, so I won't be using the brick that came with it; but my wife thinks she might like to use it---mainly for volume, mute and channel; if not, I might give it away or sell it.

#7 of 16 Yogi

Yogi

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
but my wife thinks she might like to use it---mainly for volume, mute and channel; if not, I might give it away or sell it

In case you wanna give it away, I can help unload that brick off your handsPosted Image
The truth is not out there but within you.

#8 of 16 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 05:24 AM

Quote:
I might give it away or sell it.

Won't this greatly diminish the resale value of the Denon? If not, I will also sell it in a heartbeat!

--
Holadem

#9 of 16 Mike Jensen

Mike Jensen

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 05:27 AM

I too just purchased a 4802. So far so good, except I hate the remote (will be getting a Pronto soon) and I can't get DTS to work. I have a DTS compatible DVD (Toshiba), optical cable, and set to bitstream output. The 4802 is set to auto input. Dolby Neo 6, THX, etc. work, but not DTS!

Wonder if something in setup is wrong? I have only hooked up the front and center channels. All others are turned off.

thanks
Mike

#10 of 16 Doug_NHT

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 05:34 AM

You might want to check for a DTS setup screen on your dvd as Pearl Harbor(I think) has a seperate setup menu for DTS. I may be thinking of another dvd but that doesn't matter.

Doug
The Crystal Method

#11 of 16 Mike Jensen

Mike Jensen

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 05:39 PM

I have looked for such a thing and can't find anything that works. Also have tried on Gladiator!

Guess I'll have to go down to the dealer I purchased it from for a lesson.

Mike

#12 of 16 Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 05:49 PM

you have to go through the set-up menu on the on screen display and set the DTS to bit stream.

#13 of 16 Laurent Balloy

Laurent Balloy

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 09:27 PM

Yeh. AVR-4802 is a nice A/V receiver. I’m sure you will have fun with it Posted Image

By the way. If want to test Dolby ProLogic II music, have a look to this document from Dolby. It explains how to set the DPL 2 parameters and prints a list on CD where DPL2 music works great Posted Image

http://www.dolby.com...02.PLIIDemo.pdf

Laurent Posted Image

#14 of 16 Geoff S

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 01:26 AM

When setting a DTS track to play.. make sure you select the input to DTS rather than using Auto. In some cases it just worked better.

Also I like to see what other modes people use on this receiver just for comparisons sake... here's what I use currently (as always I switch around seeing what's better for what specific title):

Music: 1st choice: DPL2:M / 2nd choice: Pure Direct / 3rd choice: 5ch stereo
TV: 1st choice: DPL2:C / 5ch stereo when I want to be enveloped in the program.
TV Movies: Home THX Cinema
DVD Movies (DD/DTS): THX 5.1

I don't use DTS Neo6 currently at all cause I have a 5.1 setup and not a 6.1/7.1 setup to take advantage of Neo6s 6 channel playback from 2ch sources.

#15 of 16 Laurent Balloy

Laurent Balloy

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 01:36 AM

Quote:
When setting a DTS track to play.. make sure you select the input to DTS rather than using Auto. In some cases it just worked better.

I own an AVC-A1SR (aka AVR-5803). It is set to Auto. I never have problem with this setting.

But the DVD player must output DTS. Have a look to the DVD player setup menu. Check it outputs DTS (not PCM) for the DTS Bitstream.

Laurent Posted Image

#16 of 16 Geoff S

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 01:44 AM

Quote:
Check it outputs DTS (not PCM) for the DTS Bitstream.

Correct, this is a must.

Sometimes.. for some people, setting to AUTO when playing a DTS track can result in buzzing, or noise, at first when the decoder is trying to ID what signal it is, and ver very rarely the track wont play at all. I never had this happen before either, but regardless I still select it to DTS when playing DTS tracks, just as a personal preference.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow