What's new

Denon 4802 (1 Viewer)

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up my new 4802 today; going to start hooking it up tonight! any suggestions or tricks that would be helpful to me? thx

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I found helpful was to read the PDF manual through like 3 times on Denon's website before I got my 4802. It's not exactly the best written manual in the World, so you may have to go through it some to get it all down.
Also know you're speaker distances, to help you breeze through setup.
Despite what some said I didn't find setup hard at all, and I was already programming other devices, and 'Key Learns' into the Atkis 800 remote by the 2nd hour.
I'm curious, after you're done setting up how long did it take you? Took me approx 2 hours to wire it up, and do system setup, but some of that time I spent re-conditioning my speaker cables. See, it paid to read the manual many many times, and know that thing inside out :D .
If you have any specific questions about the 4802 feel free to ask, it's got so much stuff.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Congrats on your new purchase. The 4802 is a really nice receiver. I talked a friend into purchasing it and I set it up for him last November. Setup was a breeze, took about an hour. What components are you connecting to it?

The only thing I did not like about it was the remote so I had him buy a pronto.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I love my receiver but I have to say that for me the setup was certainly NOT a breeze. But then again, I though I could do it without the manual :D
I do agree that remote is absolutely dreadful.
--
Holadem

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tips: I am connecting the following:

RCA 61310 HDTV
Mits 8020 progscan DVD
Apex 1100W dvd
Philips DSR6000 Directivo
Toshiba VCR
Speakers: Celestion Fronts, Klipsch side surrounds, Polk M-1's-back surrounds

Didn't get it all finished last night, so I will complete it tonight hopefully.

Thanks again

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah; I have the pronto pro, so I won't be using the brick that came with it; but my wife thinks she might like to use it---mainly for volume, mute and channel; if not, I might give it away or sell it.

Mike Jensen

Auditioning
I too just purchased a 4802. So far so good, except I hate the remote (will be getting a Pronto soon) and I can't get DTS to work. I have a DTS compatible DVD (Toshiba), optical cable, and set to bitstream output. The 4802 is set to auto input. Dolby Neo 6, THX, etc. work, but not DTS!

Wonder if something in setup is wrong? I have only hooked up the front and center channels. All others are turned off.

thanks
Mike

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to check for a DTS setup screen on your dvd as Pearl Harbor(I think) has a seperate setup menu for DTS. I may be thinking of another dvd but that doesn't matter.

Doug

Mike Jensen

Auditioning
I have looked for such a thing and can't find anything that works. Also have tried on Gladiator!

Guess I'll have to go down to the dealer I purchased it from for a lesson.

Mike

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
you have to go through the set-up menu on the on screen display and set the DTS to bit stream.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
When setting a DTS track to play.. make sure you select the input to DTS rather than using Auto. In some cases it just worked better.

Also I like to see what other modes people use on this receiver just for comparisons sake... here's what I use currently (as always I switch around seeing what's better for what specific title):

Music: 1st choice: DPL2:M / 2nd choice: Pure Direct / 3rd choice: 5ch stereo
TV: 1st choice: DPL2:C / 5ch stereo when I want to be enveloped in the program.
TV Movies: Home THX Cinema
DVD Movies (DD/DTS): THX 5.1

I don't use DTS Neo6 currently at all cause I have a 5.1 setup and not a 6.1/7.1 setup to take advantage of Neo6s 6 channel playback from 2ch sources.

When setting a DTS track to play.. make sure you select the input to DTS rather than using Auto. In some cases it just worked better.
I own an AVC-A1SR (aka AVR-5803). It is set to Auto. I never have problem with this setting.
But the DVD player must output DTS. Have a look to the DVD player setup menu. Check it outputs DTS (not PCM) for the DTS Bitstream.
Laurent

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Check it outputs DTS (not PCM) for the DTS Bitstream.
Correct, this is a must.

Sometimes.. for some people, setting to AUTO when playing a DTS track can result in buzzing, or noise, at first when the decoder is trying to ID what signal it is, and ver very rarely the track wont play at all. I never had this happen before either, but regardless I still select it to DTS when playing DTS tracks, just as a personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks