What's new

New PS2 Jampack is Jammin Fun! (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I picked up the new PlayStation Underground Jampack (Summer 2001) today at Target ($7.99 list). I know this is the "free" disc you are supposed to get when you send in your PS2 registration card, but since I mailed mine back in December and never received a thing, I decided to risk eight bucks on this puppy.
The good news is that it is much better than the last demo disc. It comes with 9 playable demos. A couple are old. A couple are current releases. But the rest... are NEW. Yes, playable demos of GOOD games that aren't out yet.
Here's the rundown of playables: ATV Offroad Fury, Cool Boarders 2001, MX 2002, Zone of the Enders, Star Wars: Starfighter, Red Faction - - then a few BIG surprises: Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2, and ICO!
I can't say enough about ICO. Where the heck did this game come from?? Imagine Zelda meets MYST meets Onimusha with cell-shaded animation. The character animation is silky smooth and although the castle backgrounds are fairly nondescript when you first start out, as you progress through level and make your way outside, your screen explodes with color and some of the best water animation I have ever seen. I can't wait for this game to come out!
Klonoa 2 also looks very promising. There are two playable levels. The gameplay is virtually identical to the first game (which, if you've played it, you know is a good thing!) And, the graphics are similar in style to the PSOne original, but definitely take advantage of the PS2's increased graphic muscle. The game's unique "2 1/2-D" perspective remains intact, and like the first Klonoa installment, it's flat-out a blast to play!
The bottom line? If you are new to the PS2 (or even if you've been at it for a while), this is a great way to see what's coming soon on the gaming horizon! Even if you have been lukewarm to much of what's been released so far, you will find much to like here. Playing these demos, I can't help but think we are finally seeing the beginning of what Sony's quirky hardware can really do... I strongly recommend this demo disc!
Gary
------------------
[Edited last by Gary Cianciosi on July 15, 2001 at 08:24 PM]

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I received the free copy in the mail last week.
It is VERY lame. A handful of playable demos of older PS2 games and, the rest are movies. Which, Soul Reaver II, is one of. I was hoping to play it but, nope...just a movie.
Also, this disc locked up twice on my system. I had to softboot the unit to get it to work again. Pretty poor quality if you ask me.
So, the freebie must be a slightly different disc than the jampack. Seems as though the $7 is worth more than the free one!!!!

paul h

Supporting Actor
I've seen a few movies from ICO and it looks sweet, the previews i've read on this game have all been very positive and hint that this could be a real surprise package.
Just checked out a new preview disc on a UK mag, PSM2, and was blown away by the quality of Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, this game looks incredible!!! Agent Under Fire looks very promising, Soul Reaver2 looks great and so did a game i knew nothing about Star Trek: Shattered Universe, looks like a Colony Wars type game set in the Trek universe.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
quote: It is VERY lame. A handful of playable demos of older PS2 games and, the rest are movies. Which, Soul Reaver II, is one of. I was hoping to play it but, nope...just a movie.[/quote]
Derrick,
This package must be slightly different from the freebie. Soul Reaver is definitely playable on my disc. Not being familiar with the series, I just wandered around a bit slashing and thrashing and then feeding on prey, but it certainly was not a movie.
As far as the rest of the disc goes, all 9 of the games I mentioned in my earlier post are playable demos. Most are SHORT (one level or less) but I spent a couple of happy hours with the thing (which is more than I can say for The Bouncer!) so, for an $8 investment (about the price of a movie ticket), I don't feel ripped off at all. Of course, your mileage may vary...
Cheers!
Gary
------------------
[Edited last by Gary Cianciosi on July 16, 2001 at 09:08 AM]

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
ICO is a weeeiird game.

I didn't really care for most of the gameplay or the boy character, but the dynamic of holding hands with the spirit was really cool. I didn't finish the demo (I got kinda bored), but I'll give it another shot some night.

Klonoa 2 looks and plays great. Should be a good disc.

-Dave

------------------
- Dave

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=bickle

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Today on PS2IGN, there is an extensive Link Removed that you really should check out.
The IGN guys are extremely jazzed about this game too, and serve up a great overview of what promises to be one of the most interesting and yes, "WEIRD" games of the year!
IGN does a MUCH better job of explaining ICO than I did in my earlier post, so please do check it out.
Gary
------------------

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I also picked up the Demo DVD today, thanks for the tip on going to Target... they had plenty! Anyway, it's 11:45pm, and I have to go to work at 6am. But I had to stop and add my 2 cents about ICO... I love it. Reminds me of the 1st time I played Tomb Raider 1. Very little music, just when needed, lots of background noises, and a incredible engine running the game. I was so upset when the demo ended. It was too short.
Make sure you check this game out, just wait till you see the view from the windmill, just awesome.
Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks