Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Your Favorite Chinese & Japanese films?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Tim RH

Tim RH

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 12:31 PM

I'd like to know your Top 10 Chinese and Japanese movies. You can do it as two different lists if you want, or you can combine both.

I like asian cinema a lot, but I'm sure a lot of you have seen many more than I have, so I'd appreciate any and all recommendations you may have. Thanks! Posted Image

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 01:34 PM

For Chinese cinema, all I can can really list is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. As for Japanese Cinema, I'd go with the following: 1. Anything by Kurosawa (I'd list my favorites, but that alone would take me over ten) 2. Tales of the Unusual 3. Battle Royale 4. The Samurai Trilogy 5. Chushingura 6. Kwaidan 7. Audition 8. Zatoichi

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 03:33 PM

In no particular order: 1. Seven Samurai 2. Kagemusha 3. Ran (see a pattern?) 4. The Hidden Fortress 5. The Emporer & the Asassin 6. Crouching Tiger... Does Anime count? 7. Graveyard of the Fireflies 8. Ninja Scroll 9. Princess Mononoke 10. Ghost in the Shell 10a. Castle of Cagliostro 10b. Wings of Honnaemise etc.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 03:35 PM

Anything by Kurosawa; yeah, I'd have to agree with Scott.
Pretty much anything from HK by John Woo
Too much anime to list

Plus (in no particular order):

1. Versus
2. Bride With White Hair 1&2
3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
4. A Taxing Woman 1&2 (Juzo Itami)
5. Audition - freaky Posted Image
6. Black Angel
7. In the Realm of the Senses
8. Tampopo (Juzo Itami)
9. Tokyo Decadence
10. The Naked Killer

John.
Most Recent Purchases: The Call of Cthulhu, Count Dracula, The Gravedancers, The Legend of Hell House, Prom Night, Starship Troopers, 28 Weeks Later, Unrest

Currently Collecting: Inu Yasha, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Total DVDs: 1436 Anime DVDs: 776 R2 DVDs: 41 R3 DVDs: 6

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 08:14 PM

Kurosawa, Ikiru, Rashomon, Ran, Madadayo etc Ugetsu Monogatari Grave of the Fireflies Fireworks Cure My Neighbor Totoro In The Realm of the Senses Sonatine Good Morning Kiki's Delivery Service Violent Cop The Funeral China/HK/Taiwan Yi Yi To Live Happy Together A Better Tomorrow In The Mood For Love Raise The Red Lantern Hard Boiled Flowers of Shanghai The Killer Not One Less Ju-Dou Goodbye South, Goodbye The Emperor and the Assassin
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Peter Kim

Peter Kim

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 09:50 PM

Japan: The Kitchen Tampopo The Eel My Neighbor Totoro In the Realm of Senses Shall We Dance? Tokyo Decadence After Life Fireworks Maborosi Chinese language: Chungking Express To Live Comrades, Almost A Love Story Raise the Red Lantern Eat Drink Man Woman Autumn Moon The Wedding Banquet Farewell My Concubine Non-native, Japanese/Chinese language films: Cold Fever The Last Emperor Mystery Train
my girls rock Balenciaga & smoke mad marijuana - M.O.B.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 02:45 AM

The Seven Samurai Ran Fists of Fury(Chinese Connection) Yojimbo Akira Avenging Eagle Godzilla (Original) Samurai Trilogy Final Yamato Roshomon 5 Deadly Venoms

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Pascal A

Pascal A

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 05:01 AM

The top two films on this list are actually my top two favorite films, so suffice it to say, I'm a great admirer of Japanese cinema. Posted Image

Limited to one film per director:

1. Life of Oharu - Kenji Mizoguchi
2. Tokyo Story - Yasujiro Ozu
3. Late Chrysanthemums - Mikio Naruse
4. Twenty-Four Eyes - Keisuke Kinoshita
5. Ikiru - Akira Kurosawa
6. The Burmese Harp - Kon Ichikawa
7. Insect Woman - Shohei Imamura
8. Gate of Hell - Teinosuke Kinugasa
9. Human Condition - Masaki Kobayashi
10. The Sun's Burial - Nagisa Oshima

I'm more familiar with contemporary Chinese, Hong Kong, and Taiwanese cinema, so this list is badly skewed towards the past twenty years.

Limited to one film per director:

1. A City of Sadness - Hou Hsiao-Hsien
2. What Time is it There? - Tsai Ming Liang
3. Yi Yi - Edward Yang
4. In the Mood for Love - Wong Kar-Wai
5. The Blue Kite - Tian Zhuangzhuang
6. Life on a String - Chen Kaige
7. Made in Hong Kong - Fruit Chan
8. Raise the Red Lantern - Zhang Yimou
9. Red Cherry - Ye Ying
10. Farewell China - Clara Law (or The Reincarnation of Golden Blossom if Farewell China doesn't count)
Strictly Film School , Senses of Cinema, YMDb Top 20

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 08:48 AM

Vulgarian clueless newb list here... China... I ain't seen nearly enough mainland Chinese films to give any sort of opinion. I'd really like to check out any Chinese historical epic films if I can find them. Hong Kong... limited to a narrow selection of martial arts films at the moment. I will go with Jackie Chan's "Wheels On Meals", a superb action comedy with plenty of slapstick while not skimping on wit. The Bruce Lee film "Fist Of Fury" (AKA Chinese Connection) is a crudley made-film (it comes off like a watered-down Anthony Mann melodrama with martial arts in it), but with a very compelling story... no wonder it's been remade twice! One can only imagine what we would've had if Bruce had worked with a more talented director than Lo Wei... Japanese films... I could be all respectable and list Ozu, Ichikawa, that kind of stuff... but screw that, "Mosura Tai Gojira" is tops for me!

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Gerry East

Gerry East

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 09:59 AM

A lot of great movies have already been mentioned, and I agree with a couple of posters who said anything by Kurosawa. I would like to mention what I think is one of Kurosawa's best, but which doesn't get much attention: Dersu Uzala. It's my second favorite Kurosawa film, behind only Seven Samurai.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,649 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 07 2002 - 11:06 AM

Seven Samurai Yojimbo Sanjuro Throne of Blood Hidden Fortress The Killer Hard Boiled A Better Tomorrow I-II A Bullet in the Head Full Contact Big Boss AKA Fists of Fury Fist of Fury AKA Chinese Connection Way of the Dragon AKA Return of the Dragon Snake in the Eagle's Shadow Drunken Master I-II Fearless Hyena Project A Armour of God Police Story Fist of Legend Once Upon a Time in China Black Mask The Prodigal Son Iron Monkey A Chinese Ghost Story Zu Warriors (1983) Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Akira Ghost in the Shell Wings of Honneamise Macross Plus Ninja Scroll Venus Wars Vampire Hunter D Wicked City Porco Rosso Castle of Cagliostro Princess Mononoke -many more

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 12:06 PM

The Seven Samurai
Ran

Yep, extensive knowlege of Japanese films have I!

Posted Image

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 04:33 PM

Rob:

Speak like Yoda you do, also Posted Image

John.
Most Recent Purchases: The Call of Cthulhu, Count Dracula, The Gravedancers, The Legend of Hell House, Prom Night, Starship Troopers, 28 Weeks Later, Unrest

Currently Collecting: Inu Yasha, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Total DVDs: 1436 Anime DVDs: 776 R2 DVDs: 41 R3 DVDs: 6

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Richard WWW

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 05:21 PM

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2. Ran 3. Eat Drink Man Woman 4. Shall We Dance? 5. The Seven Samurai 6. Return of the Dragon 7. The Big Boss (AKA Fists of Fury) 8. Once Upon a Time In China I've not seen a lot of Asian movies, but these are the ones that I'd gladly recommend to anyone else.
"In some ancient cultures, bears were considered equal with men."

"This ain't no ancient culture."

"Sometimes it is."

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Tim RH

Tim RH

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 07:25 PM

Where's Jeff Kleist when you need him? Posted Image

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   John Sturge

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 04:57 AM

1.Sonatine 2.Fists Of Fury 3.Hard Boiled 4.Yojimbo 5.Ran 6.Boling Point 7.Violent Cop 8.The Killer 9. Seven Samurai 10.Brother

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   DonaldB

DonaldB

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 02:58 PM

I'll try to limit myself to things that haven't been mentioned. Japanese language I Was Born, But... - Yasujiro Ozu Osaka Elegy - Kenji Mizoguchi Death by Hanging - Nagisa Oshima Double Suicide - Masahiro Shinoda An Actor's Revenge - Kon Ichikawa The Ballad of Narayama - Shohei Imamura When a Woman Ascends the Stairs - Mikio Naruse No Regrets for Our Youth - Akira Kurosawa Woman in the Dunes - Hiroshi Teshigahara Red Angel - Yasuzo Masumura Chinese language The Puppetmaster - Hou Hsiao-Hsien A Brighter Summer Day - Edward Yang The River - Tsai Ming-liang The Longest Summer - Fruit Chan Happy Together - Wong Kar-wai The Story of Qiu Ju - Zhang Yimou The Actress (aka Center Stage) - Stanley Kwan The Horse Thief - Tian Zhuangzhuang A Borrowed Life - Wu Nien-jen Yellow Earth - Chen Kaige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users