Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Web sites for succinct reviews of chronologically released DVDs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted June 21 2002 - 01:46 AM

I'm looking for a decent website with a short movie summary and a ranking (3 stars, 4 stars, etc). I'm not really concerned about quality of video/audio...but more about the film/story/plot/acting/etc. Can anyone help?
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted June 21 2002 - 05:21 AM

I would think you would best be served with any regular movie review guide (either in print or online). DVD review sites typically focus on the success of the DVD presentation with only a blurb about the movie and plot. Marrying this up to a DVD release schedule will be your toughest job, as well as finding a critic that matches your needs.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted June 21 2002 - 08:13 AM

You're so right, Alex. That's why I was shooting in the dark by posting here. Thanks for the response.
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted June 21 2002 - 09:35 AM

I can't think of any that really give you a chronological release search, but the following sites have reasonably lengthy movie reviews along with capable DVD reviews:
http://www.dvdreview...l/reviews.shtml
http://www.dvdfile.c...oftware/review/

Hopefully the wonderful DVD Basen search site will be back on it's feet. That might have included some form of chronological search by release date.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark Coleman

Mark Coleman

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted June 21 2002 - 09:46 AM

Hi try play247.com which you can view by release date. It has a short synopsis of film and extras etc. I find this the most user friendly. Only fault is tends to hold only most popular titles. Hope this helps.

Mark

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted June 21 2002 - 09:59 PM

Actually, you could maybe search in Rotten Tomatoes. They seem to have reviews for lots of movies linked in. From there you could probably find a review site that you like.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted June 22 2002 - 02:15 AM

Some good stuff here...thanks guys!