Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

***Official SPIDER-MAN Discussion Thread***

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
385 replies to this topic

#1 of 386 Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted May 01 2002 - 10:10 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Spider-Man".

Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Spider-Man" should be posted here.

Thanks

Posted Image Frank

#2 of 386 Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 01:01 AM

Saw a preview screening of the film last night and loved it.

I will not go into details about the film so as to not ruin it for people...but, if you loved the X-Men film and thought that it could be a tad bit tighter and have more action, then this movie will do you up just fine.

A very solid "A" on this film.

#3 of 386 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 04:30 AM

What did you think of the SFX?
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#4 of 386 Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 05:41 AM

Everything looked really good. There was one certain scene that did look a little to 'digital' for me and my liking, but over all the FX were great.

Also, meant to put this in my original post...there was a teaser trailer attached to this for the Hulk coming next year...

#5 of 386 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 02 2002 - 12:35 PM

I saw the HBO First Look last night for this film and my enthusiasm went through the fricken roof! I love everything Sam Raimi does, so this will no doubt be a big winner with me.

I'll find out Saturday night, I can't wait!
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#6 of 386 Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 01:01 PM

Do you know if this will have a DTS soundtrack?
It is what it is......... Akuna Matata

My DVD Collection

#7 of 386 Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 04:34 PM

Quote:
Do you know if this will have a DTS soundtrack?
It did not in the one I saw.

#8 of 386 Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 12:49 AM

I can’t wait to go back and see it tonight. However, I have thought of two things in the movie that bother me.

1) The Suit – Where did it come from? Who made it? If Peter made it (I assume he did) then not only is he a science geek but a real good seamstress and designer. I really do like the design and the opening sequence explains some aspects of it. It’s just that if you had to design it where in the heck would you start?

2) Spider-Man’s banter/mockery – During his interaction with the bad guys he is always talking, insulting and being sarcastic. I know he just started being Spider-Man and he is still getting comfortable with it. He did do it some and had a few particularly amusing ones. One in the ring with Bonesaw and one outside of Jonah’s office. I do remember him being particularly harsh with Jonah in the comics.

#9 of 386 Jason F.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 01:02 AM

7 o'clock tonight.....I can't wait!!!! Posted Image
"Wider is Better"

#10 of 386 Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 02:01 AM

After reading Eberts review, I've come to the conclusion he is an idiot.
I like Crouching Tiger, but you can't compare the 2 in'flying' sequences. In Crouching Tiger, their tip toes would touch roofs (spelling?) and they would bounch/fly. It was a dreamlike movie.

Spiderman is super human, with the proportional speed and agility of a spider. Of course it looks fast.
I've read and seen in various places they wanted spider man to move like that in the movie. It is a COMIC BOOK.
Comparing to Batman (who has no 'special powers') is stupid.

Hello! Spiderman clings to walls! That kinda tells you that this character is over the top. Ebert should go have another 10 pizzas and retire.
Martin Conroy

#11 of 386 Micheal

Micheal

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 04:11 AM

Quote:
2) Spider-Man’s banter/mockery – During his interaction with the bad guys he is always talking, insulting and being sarcastic.
I love it!! That's the Spiderman that I grew up with to a "T"! Posted Image
BLAM!
Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

#12 of 386 Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Spider-Man’s banter/mockery – During his interaction with the bad guys he is always talking, insulting and being sarcastic. I know he just started being Spider-Man and he is still getting comfortable with it. He did do it some and had a few particularly amusing ones. One in the ring with Bonesaw and one outside of Jonah’s office. I do remember him being particularly harsh with Jonah in the comics

Hey Frank, you should know that's all Spidey did when he fought the bad guys in the comics. That's why we all love him. Posted Image
TAlex 700

#13 of 386 Anthony_H

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 05:18 AM

Going along with the flow on a few other review threads I have read... I would assume that Frank meant that there wasnt ENOUGH banter during the action scenes. This seems to be a common complaint. If I am wrong Frank, please correct me.

#14 of 386 todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 05:31 AM

Horrible movie as I stated in the review thread, just horrible.
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#15 of 386 Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,509 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted May 03 2002 - 05:39 AM

F.Y.I The Hulk teaser trailer is online at Apple Trailers.

I would have been at the 11AM show here...but my son's and I are going at 5.

Can NOT wait!!!!!!!

#16 of 386 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 05:46 AM

Conroy: What did Roger Ebert say? Thanks. JB

#17 of 386 Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
Going along with the flow on a few other review threads I have read... I would assume that Frank meant that there wasnt ENOUGH banter during the action scenes. This seems to be a common complaint. If I am wrong Frank, please correct me.

Anthony hit the nail on the head. I think I wasn't clear enough. I wanted MORE banter. It bothered me that there was some but it needed MORE.

#18 of 386 Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 07:01 AM

Quote:
I wanted MORE banter. It bothered me that there was some but it needed MORE.

I agree. But, it looked like Raimi was trying to pull back the reins a bit to "preserve" the image of Peter Parker too much. It's a curious choice, seeing how the change of identity is what made Spidey brash and cockey. But, I didn't see it as a hinderance.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#19 of 386 Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 07:09 AM

JB
EggBert basically said that the characters(Spidey and GG) moved too fast for his little eyes and Spidey bounced around like a a rubber ball. Whereas in Crouching tiger they looked like they were really flying Posted Image
"Tobey Maguire is pitch-perfect as the socially retarded Peter Parker, but when he becomes Spider-Man, the film turns to action sequences that zip along like perfunctory cartoons. Not even during Spidey's first experimental outings do we feel that flesh and blood are contending with gravity. Spidey soars too quickly through the skies of Manhattan; he's as convincing as Mighty Mouse."

He said the action was boring and that the characters movement was unrealistic.Sorry but these are characters with 'super human' strength etc

"The appeal of the best sequences in the Superman and Batman movies is that they lend weight and importance to comic-book images. Within the ground rules set by each movie, they even have plausibility"

Wow superman going and spinning the earth backwards and turning back time was really grounded in reality.Posted Image
I think I did that in my 4th year engineering classes Quantum Mechanics 401

The Joker shooting down a jet with a handgun... oh yeah reality.

Give me a break!

Egghead has lost it. Didn't he have a stroke or a heart attck recently?

Addendum
I went through some of his past recent reviews to see whats what.
He gave spidey **1/2 the same as the Scopian king/Clockstoppers/Big Trouble. Ok I have not seen any of these but PLEASE TELL me he has lost it.

I have not seen anything but 4-5 star out of 5 for Spider-man. Raimi is awesome. There is NO WAY this could be on the same level as Scorpion King
Martin Conroy

#20 of 386 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 08:09 AM

As if anyone needs my opinion on this movie:

I really dug it! I need a few hours to get my thoughts in order before writing my review, but I wanted to cast a "YAY!" vote for this supremely entertaining movie.

Since you guys are already picking apart Ebert's review Posted Image - is it just me or did he completely misunderstand the ending? Re-read the final paragraph of Ebert's review and tell me if I'm nuts.

Unless I'm clueless (which is entirely possible), wasn't the
point of Peter walking away from MJ at the end meant to represent his fear of her getting hurt? Not five seconds before the couple have their final exchange, Peter says in voice-over "Everyone I love ends up hurt". When Peter casually (and surprisingly) turns her away, it's because he's trying to protect her, not reject her!

I find it truly disturbing that Roger Ebert considers Tomb Raider a better film than Spider-Man. Posted Image

I'll be back later on with my review and to join all you webheads for your inevitably enthusiastic responses to the movie!

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow