Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Torn Curtain" with original score?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted April 08 2002 - 09:03 PM

Since the upcoming DVD of "Legend" is setting a precedent -- including separate versions of the movie with the original Jerry Goldsmith score and the replacement Tangerine Dream score -- how about rallying the cause for a release of Hitchcock's "Torn Curtain" with the original Bernard Herrmann score? Those who have seen the death of Gromek scene in the Herrmann documentary have seen a stunning example of how much more effective the scene is with Herrmann's music. My guess is that Herrmann's score would add a great deal to this flawed yet watchable example of late Hitchcock. Certainly it would be superior to the film with perennial hack John Addison's krappmusik.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,912 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted April 08 2002 - 10:08 PM

Great idea but it's already been done! The DVD of Torn Curtain includes, as an extra, scenes from the film scored with Herrmann's music, or at least as much as he recorded before being replaced by John Addison.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,098 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 08 2002 - 10:13 PM

[quote]

Those who have seen the death of Gromek scene in the Herrmann documentary have seen a stunning example of how much more effective the scene is with Herrmann's music.

[quote]I could not disagree more, but do like hearing the score excerpts as a supplement.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 06:20 AM

The entire Herrmann score is (or was) available on a Varese-Sarabande CD. Someone who was technically savvy could probably cue it up with the DVD to get an impression of what the movie would be like with the original score. Tom Fynan

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 10:08 AM

It's not practical to have the entire movie set to Herrmann's score for a simple reason. Herrmann was fired from the project before any of the score was written or performed for roughly the last third of the movie.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,369 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 08:30 PM

Just a bit of related trivia but Elmer Bernstein incorporated some of Herrmann's score to Torn Curtain in the 1991 remake of Cape Fear. When adapting Herrmann's 1962 Cape Fear score to the 1991 remake, Bernstein discovered that he needed more music than the 1962 score provided so he borrowed some of Herrmann's Torn Curtain themes to extend the score.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 08:39 PM

OK. Well, screw me, guys. I'm now sorry I brought it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users