What's new

Warner Bros Vindicated... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
With so many catalog titles being announced by Warner Bros. lately, I'd say they are aquitting themselves rather nicely. I really think they have heard and are responding to our years of outcry and frustration. Obviously we all have titles we wish the studio would put out next, or this year, but if they continue to release as they are doing so now, I am incredibly encouraged, and I think we should give them a big THANK YOU...I mean, let's give credit where credit's due:

Meet Me In St. Louis

Singin' in the Rain (Special)

American In Paris (Special)

Harvey Girls

Clash of the Titans

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Now Voyager

Time After Time

Bringing Up Baby

King Kong

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

Curse of Frankenstein (in production)

Horror of Dracula (in production)

to name just a few titles recently announced.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, I've also been very happy with what Warner has been doing lately, but I suspect we are still in the minority on that one around here.

But, um...I haven't heard that Bringing Up Baby and King Kong have been officially announced (though I heard there was some restoration work being done on the latter).

Beau

Supporting Actor
Don't forget that Gremlins SE is siupposed to come out this year.:)

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
Is any of these in widescreen (OAR) or are they pan & scanned to fill your screen?

Tim RH

Second Unit
And don't forget AMADEUS: Director's Cut, THE COLOR PURPLE: SE, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST: SE, POLTERGEIST: SE and VICTOR/VICTORIA: SE, etc.!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I want to see more official release announcements before I give them credit for stepping up the pace.

Crawdaddy

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
These kinds of decisions are usually made at least a year or two before release. Sadly, I doubt that Warners has listened to any of the fan polls or websites. They usually just laugh or roll their eyes at such things, regardless of how big the website. If anything, sales on certain catalog titles of theirs (and from competitor studios) have been fairly strong and they don't want to seem the dinosaur of DVD.

As far as listening to consumers, Warners is a closed door.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They projected a Bringing Up Baby release by the first half of this year in our most recent chat. It is the only title for which their estimation was not met, so unless some huge SNAFU develops, I expect to see it by the end of the year.
Based on what they said in the chat and what they have delivered, they at least deserve credit for being forthright with us.
BTW, a Warner Brothers distributed James Cagney gangster film was released this week...
...by Artisan. It's "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye". :)
Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
BTW, a Warner Brothers distributed James Cagney gangster film was released this week...

...by Artisan. It's "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye".
Ken,

When I watched the dvd the other day, I was surprised when I saw the Warner Brothers logo since Artisan released the dvd but perhaps that has to do with it being a Cagney family production and owning the rights to the film.

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I will give credit to Warner. They have improved their release schedule, although at their present rate it will still be many, many years before they make a sizable dent in their film library. And why don't they release any Film Noirs, or 1930's Horror films, or James Cagney films, or The Haunting, or Errol Flynn films, or Greta Garbo films, or The Thing, or Marx Brothers films, or Looney Tunes, or Val Lewton films...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
When I watched the dvd the other day, I was surprised when I saw the Warner Brothers logo since Artisan released the dvd but perhaps that has to do with it being a Cagney family production and owning the rights to the film.
Yep. It was indpendently produced by William Cagney Productions, but Warner was the distributor. This is the same reason you see the WB logo before the film on MGM's release of "Sayonara" which was, according to the IMDB, produced by William Goetz Productions and Pennebaker Productions, but distributed by WB.

Regards,

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, Warner is really on the job with those 12 or 13 titles. Now Hopefully they'll consider the THOUSANDS of other titles they own like:

THE CAT PEOPLE

CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE

THE BODY SNATCHER

SON OF KONG

MIGHTY JOE YOUNG

ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN

FRANKENSTEIN 1970

MARK OF THE VAMPIRE

BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS

BEAST FROM 20,OOO FATHOMS

BEDLAM (Karloff)

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED

CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED

WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH

BOWERY BOYS (series)

THE BAD SEED

DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (both March and Tracy verions)

FREAKS

QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE

HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS

THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS

THE LEOPARD MAN

ISLE OF THE DEAD

ILLUSTRATED MAN

PRIVATE PARTS (Paul Bartel)

MACABRE (William Castle)

MAD LOVE (Lorre)

MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM

PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE

THE POWER (George Pal)

NO BLADE OF GRASS

FACE OF FU MANCHU

BRIDES OF FU MANCHU

VENGEANCE OF FU MANCHU

MASK OF FU MANCHU

DRACULA A.D. 1972

DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE

TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA

FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED

FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE

MOON ZERO TWO

SHE (1965)

TROG

THE SHUTTERED ROOM

THE FROZEN DEAD

IT! (Roddy McDowall)

THE WALKING DEAD (Karloff)

IT'S ALIVE

IT LIVES AGAIN

WILD, WILD PLANET

WICKED, WICKED

THE OMEGA MAN

SOYLENT GREEN

THE GREEN SLIME

THE PICURE OF DORIAN GREY

THE BLACK SCORPION

THE GIANT BEHEMOTH

THEM

THE SEVENTH VICTIM

THE INVISIBLE BOY

...this is just to name a few!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I get a kick out of the fact that the more WB releases, the more people complain about what they have not yet released. So much for constructive encouragement. I will repeat my list of titles that Warner has released or firmly announced between October of last year and June of this year:
Citizen Kane, Doctor Zhivago, The Bad and the Beautiful, Designing Woman, Little Women, Now Voyager, The Dirty Harry Films, Klute, Summer of '42, Ocean's 11, Robin and the Seven Hoods, The Prince and the Showgirl, Love in the Afternoon, A Touch of Class, ... The Harvey Girls, Calamity Jane, The Women, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
That's not bad for a nine month span, and all that I have seen are of good to great quality and very reasonably priced. I may even be missing some.

Regards,

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I get a kick out of the fact that the more WB releases, the more people complain about what they have not yet released.
Maybe it's because Warner has almost totally neglected their catalog titles until recently (remember, a lot of their catalog titles were put out by MGM). I happen to own many of their films on Laser, I can always watch them, but there are a lot of people out there who don't have laserdiscs and can't get to see these films in high resolution when they want. If they would have shown more of a commitment to their catalog titles before, maybe we wouldn't be so hard on them now.
Their library of titles is so VAST, (there are over 300 titles in their library that I would love to have on DVD, 300!!), that releasing a couple of dozen titles a year isn't going to make much of a dent in their library for at least 10 years from now. Some of us would like to see some of these titles sooner that's all. We're not being cranky complainers, we're just being movie lovers.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I agree that Warners has been terribly lax about dipping into their huge Warners/MGM/RKO library but still, it's nice to see some token classic releases seeing the light of day even if it is at a snail's pace.
I suspect Warners will never win around here though. Their catalogue is so vast that whatever classic they release there will inevitably be someone who complains "Yeah, they released "Fill In The Blank" but what about "Put Your Favorite Title In This Space" or "I Want This Movie Now"?"
For everyone who is thrilled that Designing Woman was released, there is someone who couldn't care less and wants to know why House Of Wax isn't being released and when House Of Wax sees the light of day there will be someone with no interest in that title who bemoans the fact that Warners still hasn't released The Magnificent Ambersons and someone who doesn't care about the Ambersons but wants ..... well, you get the picture.
Warners can't seem to win for losing.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've never been unhappy with the pace of WB's releases. What I have been unhappy about is the seemingly random non-OAR releases they put out.

If all their future releases are OAR, they won't hear a peep from me.

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
One title:
Michelangelo Antonioni's Blowup.
That needs to be out, yesterday.
Carrol

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'll be happy when the original 1963 version of The Haunting is announced.

(I was almost tempted to move this to "Studio Feedback," but perhaps the thread deserves exposure to the higher traffic volume in this forum.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks