What's new

Best Floorstanding Speakers under $1k (1 Viewer)

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Everyone,

I'm in the market for a new set of floorstanding mains. I'm trying to figure out what my best purchase would be. My current set up includes an SVS 20-39 cs+, so I won't need anything that gets too deep. I'm looking for something with excellent mids and highs. They would be used 80% for HT, and about 20% for Music.

My center channel is an Infinity IL25c, and I also have Infinity surrounds. I am using a Yamaha RX-v800 receiver.

My first thoughts were the Diva 4.1s. I don't think I would need the 6.1s, because I have the low-end covered by the SVS. I was also considering B&W 602.5s, but am not sure on their cost. Infinity IL40s are also an option.

What would you all recommend? I open for any, and all, ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Brian Shannon

Stunt Coordinator
Tough call.

I have not heard the 602.5. I recently upgraded my 602's to CM4's and have been pleased.

Given my liking of my 602's I would think this new model should also be very good.

I have been tempted to purchase some Diva's just to try them out but the return shipping is far too high to justify that.

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you are also going to replace your center channel now or in the near future, you better get Infinity speakers, and they should be ones from the same family as your center channel. Since most of your use is HT, you'll want a matching soundstage across the front, and you won't get it with another brand of speaker, IMHO.

Or, you could forget about using a center channel and use phantom mode on your receiver to create the illusion of one. That will give you a perfect soundstage but may fade if you are off-axis.

So, if you're going to go away from Infinity, I'd suggest the Klipsch RF-3II. Klipsch and Yamaha are a nice match, and you'll get crystal clear mids and highs - the sizzle on the cymbal, the lips on the microphone, etc...

Doug

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
How about a pair of Klipsch sf-2 and you will have enough left over to get the matching center as well.I have this system with a 25-31 and it is an awsome match!

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I would definitely go with the klipsch rf3 or the paradigm monitors. I prefer the klipsch sound, but currently own both klipsch and paradigm products.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Do you have any major placement restrictions for the speakers? How much space to the rear and to the sides will you be able to give them?
I have found Yamaha + Def Tech to be a wonderful match.
www.definitivetech.com
By the way, even though you will be using an external sub, do not necessarily feel that you cannot benefit by using speakers which have formidable output below 80Hz. Some people feel that they have gotten a more coherent soundstage when using near full range main speakers, even with a quality external sub. Especially for music, I think you will be able to appreciate near full range response for your main channel speakers, provided that you can give the speakers some room to breathe.
Good luck!

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
I'd also suggest you go with the IL 40 since it should match well with your center channel. Also, I think the Il 40 is one of the best floor standers available in the under $1000/pair range. Might want to check out issue 27 of "The Audio Critic" (best audio mag. around IMHO) which includes a very positive review of this speaker.

Good luck.

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the ideas so far. I really appreciate everybody's help.

Do you have any major placement restrictions for the speakers? How much space to the rear and to the sides will you be able to give them?
Right now I live in a very small apartment, and I have to basically push the speakers all the way back against the wall. I also have little space to the sides of where they would be placed. I will be moving, however, in about 6 months. I am hoping that my new place will have much more room.

So far, I really like the ideas of the Paradigm Monitor 11s, the Axiom M80ti, and the Diva 4.1s.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far!

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
IMHO, you should hold off until you move into the bigger space. If you will be using the Infinity center and rears, you should probably stick with Infinity mains. Otherwise, there are a lot of good choices out there.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I received my Divas last Friday, I got the 5.1's and C3, the 2.1's are back ordered, and I cant believe how clear the center (C3) speaker is. I am hearing things never heard before, even at low volumes. The 5.1's are just as impressive for HT or music and I am sure the 4.1's would not dissapoint. Before the Divas I had some Sony speakers and my wife was not that interested, but once she heard the Divas she kept giving music CD's to try. The customer service has also been exceptional. I dont think these speakers would dissapoint anybody. Good luck with what ever you decide but if you can give the Divas a try.

Russell W

Agent
Corey H,
We're thrilled that you are interested in the Swan's Diva's and hope they may work for you. I would have to agree with Doug and stress the importance of timbre matching especially across the front channel L/C/R. There is a significant improvement in performance when using speaker that are timbre matched. Obviously, as are other brands the Diva's are timbre matched.
Also, we think you will really enjoy having a subwoofer with either 4.1 or 6.1. The 6.1 is often used in music only systems without a sub due to the lower bass capabilities. In a Home theater system you'll really appreciate the sub for all of the explosions, airplanes, etc.
If you can give me a better description of your room layout and dimensions I can give you a better assessment of which will work better for you.
Please call me or email anytime to discuss.
Russell Woolfolk
[email protected]
877 543-7500 x 402

Chip E

Screenwriter
Corey,
Check out PSB Stratus Silveri 's. I run a pair of them with my SVS 20-39PC and they sound phenominal.. I got the high gloss black which list for $1000.00 a piece. I paid $750.00 a piece. Great speakers, very revealing without being harsh at the top. Excellent mids with tight bass.
http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/StratusSeries.html

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
Yamaha amp sounds best with Yamaha high end speakers like the NS-300 or NS8-HX. Also the Magnepans and Cantons sound equaly good.

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
PSB Image 5T is a great buy. Give them a listen. PSB are very good acrooss the line.

About U$850 the pair..

Frantz

Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
A while back someone on Ebay was dumping Infinity IL50's at crazy prices - ~ $400 or so a pair. You may want to check it out.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks