What's new

News about Farscape Season 2 (R1) (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Anime on DVD reports from the Katsucon 8 anime convention.

"Farscape Season 2 will probably be release as multiple two-volume miniboxes."

That should make many folks happy.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've never seen this show but see that it gets a lot of coverage on this forum. What is this show about? I'm a huge scifi nut but haven't even seen it. I never got into B5 either until the recent DVDs and now love it!

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Marc Farscape is a excellent show about a Astronaut who literally gets sucked through a wormhole into another part of the universe and gets stuck with a a unlikely group of people. I got into the show when the first DVD came out now ive seen every episode made and im anxious for the final episodes of this season to show on sci-fi

capt

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Farscape is fantastic. If you are at all into Sci-Fi (even if you aren't) you are doing yourself a dis-service if you don't check it out.

Of course, as with ANY TV show, it's important to see multiple episodes before making final judgements (but they're all great!).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Told you you guys would be happier with season 2 ;)
Now I'm sure the bitching will start if it comes in a double alpha ;)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Jeff Season 2 can comes in any case it wants. They are going right into my new 5 sized cases :)

capt

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
Farscape is the best Sci Fi show since Babylon 5, IMO and by far and away the best on TV today.

And it has the ability to be even better as the storylines are wonderful.

Andy

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Sweet, you've got me all excited about this now! I've heard Season box sets aren't availble but is at least the whole first season out? What about other regions, they have season sets?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I disagree with Andy_B. Farscape is the best sci-fi series since Blake's 7, and by far and a way the best sci-fi from a country that is not England. :)
I've only watched it up till end of season 2... But so far it has only gotten better with age. It is plot and character driven drama/comedy, tongue-in-cheek but not too much, with great dialogue, intelligent villains, and a highly likeable cast. Ben Browder stars as an alternate "Buck Rogers" character, and acts as if he's a slightly toned-down version of Kurt Russell's character in Big Trouble in Little China. :)
In R2, discs have been released in double-pack box-sets (per season: 3 of 4 eps, 2 of 5eps). I'm not sure if PAL-Speedup has been compensated for (I'm not familiar with the cast from elsewhere, and I can't be bothered to wait for R1 releases to trickle through), but the DVD video quality (esp. later season 2) is fantastic, reference quality even.
Highly recommended. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've never gotten a really straight answer on how this is produced. Here is what I think happens from various comments I've seen around the net.
1) Farscape is shot on 35MM 24fps.
2) Live footage is telecined to PAL video 25fps. Sound pitch is corrected (I'm not sure how much is looped).
3) Effects and editing are done in PAL.
4) NTSC version is converted from the final PAL video master. This causes 'NTSC slowdown' (but actually returns the speed to match the original filmed version), and on the first couple of NTSC DVDs they forgot to re-correct the pitch..resulting in low-pitched voices and music, but correct timing.
I'd love for somebody to tell me that I am wrong, because this is a really terrible way to produce a show. :) Also, it doesn't answer what happens to the music, and who gets the 'right' version.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
From The Digital Bits:
Also today, ADV Films has revealed that their Farscape: Season 2, Set 1 DVD streets on 6/25. The 2-disc set will include 4 episodes, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, deleted scenes, audio commentary for one episode and more. SRP is $39.98. Thanks to Tim D. for the tip.
I haven't seen it at DVDEmpire or Amazon.com yet but this is very good news!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The only difference seems to be that it is more episodes quiker. The amount of episodes and the price is the same. But, I still will get it.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Sets 3 and 5 look fantastic...not just because of the extra episode, but the quality of the episodes in each box.

Also, the MSRP per disc for the new sets is the same as the last couple of single discs, but the typical discount per disc may be a bit higher.

Very nice.

Keith Helms

Stunt Coordinator
$40 for 4 episodes is too much. Why can't they release season at a time box sets like other series are going to?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's the same price you've been paying!
Season 1 was $19.99 per disc SRP!
You wanted more eps at a time to save space, you got it
I'll say in this thread what I've said in the other ones
There are too many hands in the pie, and ADV's main distributors don't like big expensive box sets of niche titles. I'm guessing around half of their product is move through Suncoast, which, since they sell at SRP does NOT like big expensive stuff
PLUS box sets require totally different licensing and royalties. AND this is how they produce the show everywhere else in the world
Just calm down ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks