Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Trying to use 2 Directv receivers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Ken Smith

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted January 26 2002 - 11:29 AM

I have one regular Sony receiver and I just got a Zenith 1080 HD receiver. I installed the oval dish, hooked up 2 seperate cables to the multiswitch. My question is: what kind or type of splitters, di-plexers do I need and how do I configure them? The Sony rec. should get only reg. sat. and the Zenith should get HD and reg. Thanks for any advice.

#2 of 6 Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted January 26 2002 - 12:28 PM

Your setup should work as-is. I am not sure what your question is. Are you trying to get OTA (over the air) HD signals to your Zenith? Or are you just wanting DirecTV to both receivers?
"I carried a watermelon."

#3 of 6 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,050 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 27 2002 - 03:37 AM

Diplexors are used to combine and split out OTA signals with the satellite signals on the same coax. Splitters are only used with more advanced installs with multiple multi-switches.

-Robert

#4 of 6 Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 04:11 AM

So with one 4 way multi switch you can run four different Direct TV boxes? Or is there more to it than that?
Michael

Video Game Tracker DVD Tracker DVD Profiler CD Tracker

#5 of 6 Ken Smith

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 06:25 AM

I don't receive OTA HD yet. Should start getting HD OTA this May though. On the HD ZEnith stb I'm getting signals for both satellites. Sat B is still kind of weak, (54) still working on it. I noticed on the other sat. rec. when I checked the antenna strength it was ok but it flashes 0 then 80. The picture on the tv is ok, but the strength meter keeps blinking. That's why I thought I had to use a splitter . I haven't run through the channel setup for the Zenith stb either. Don't know if this should affect the other rec. or not.

#6 of 6 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,050 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 27 2002 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
So with one 4 way multi switch you can run four different Direct TV boxes?
Almost correct. Since the introduction of DirecTivo and Ultimate TV, things are different. A 4 way multi-switch will only run two DirecTivos or Ultimate TVs since they have dual tuners. There are also 8 and 16 way switches.

Quote:
Sat B is still kind of weak, (54)
That's not good. Make sure you mast is exactly plumb. Use the coordinates from the RCA site. They were exactly right for my install.

Quote:
I noticed on the other sat. rec. when I checked the antenna strength it was ok but it flashes 0 then 80. The picture on the tv is ok
If the picture on the TV is OK, I would trust the Zenith signal strength. Also, is your older receiver a Plus model? If not it won't get any of the 119 SD channels.

-Robert

Forum Nav Content I Follow