What's new

Onkyo TX-SR875 to Denon X4100W upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Eibach1

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hi, new to the forum, and getting back into the HT life. I had a nice set up a few years back and had to convert the theater room into living space. Recently moved and now have a 30x22 room for a theater again. I'm upgrading some of my speakers and subs as well as projector. My question is the receiver I have is Onkyo SR875 and with all the 4K talk now I thought I should upgrade. When I saw what my Onkyo was selling for now I was very discouraged seeing as how I paid 1600 for it. It seems I can get a newer version pretty equivalent for half that price. One I was considering was Denon x4100w. The thing that attracted me to it besides 4k was the sticker on the unit reads 235w per channel. I figured since I was going bigger with speakers this would be great. After reviewing it though I read 125w per channel is the actual rating. My Onkyo is 140w per channel. So my question is, leaving 4K out of the equation and just focusing on power, would this be an upgrade? Should I just keep going with my current unit and wait for prices to come down on higher end 4k models?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Ignore the wattage rating from the receivers, you're going to get pretty much the same output from all of the standard manufacturers. If you need more power, then the usual next step is to get a receiver with pre-outs for the mains, and add a separate amp for the front L/R (or L/C/R if you're feeling flush).

So the question becomes, do you need more power - are you maxing out your current receiver?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks