What's new

Blacking out windows when shades are not an option. (1 Viewer)

David Melito

Auditioning
Real Name
David
My new home theater is also the living room. My spouse and I constantly argue about discuss the merits of "form vs. function".

On the wall opposite the TV, there is an a 5' x 3' window with a VERY translucent shade. Whenever the sun is up, there is glare on the TV. Changing the shade is not an option.

My stop-gap solution has just been to stuff a bit of cardboard behind the shade when I want to watch a movie. Is there another option? Does someone make custom "black-out inserts"? Is there a better a name for my fantasy product?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've seen homes that had two separate sets of shades on the same window, one that was less effective for light blocking but better liked aesthetically that was in the front, and then a second solid shade that can be pulled down independently and behind the translucent shade.

Could something like that work for your house? Your spouse gets to keep the nice looking shades for room aesthetics, and you have an extra shade underneath you can close when you want to watch a movie, and then retract afterwards?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks