What's new

When to retire a Samsung 720P DLP RP (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm trying to get some feedback on when to retire my old Samsung 720P DLP RP set. It's mostly my alternate set for watching the news etc. as I have a FP HT upstairs for serious movie watching.

I got the HL-R5656W from Costco in November 2005. The only thing that's been needed up until now was an early lamp change in March 2007, perhaps due to moving the set in a moving van from San Jose to Boise.

The replacement bulb has held up now for 8 years and 7,915 operating hours. Since it's at the end of the expected lifespan and it seems to have gotten dimmer, I just replaced it with a "no name" $30 E22 bulb from Jaspertronics in Carthage, MO. Unlike all the bad press no name bulbs have received, this unit was a perfect mechanical and connector fit for the OEM Philips, installed easily, and is performing well. Only time will tell about its long-term use.

But what if something else breaks? I found the service manual online so I feel comfortable with troubleshooting at the module-replacement level. The wear parts appear to be these:

DC Fan BP31-00011A about $25

Lamp Ballast BP47-00021A about $40

Color Wheel BP96-01103A about $120

Perhaps you can see my dilemma. I can probably limp along for a few years without spending much, perhaps until OLED sets get cheap. Or I can retire it now and maybe get $100 on Craigslist for it as a working unit.

So what makes sense for me to do now?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I suppose I should add a few specs for the set.

Nominal 55" diagonal

720P resolution

Contrast 1500:1

HD4 DLP chip 0.55"

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think the big question is "Are you okay with its performance?" If yes, then you might as well hold onto the set, because $100 towards the purchase of a new set isn't a large sum of money. If you aren't then move on.

Of course the other big variable is how long will the Samsung run with no further maintenance costs? If it continues to run, then you aren't out any money, if it dies you may have lost $100 dollars towards a new set. I'd say ride out the set, (picture Slim Pickens at the conclusion of Dr. Strangelove) as long as you are okay with its performance.

I believe that generally speaking, costs of newer technologies drive downward over time, making a better display less expensive at some future date.

Easy for me say with no financial stake in the matter. :)

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dennis,

I agree with Walter's comments, the answer to your question is dependent on whether you're happy enough with your current display, thus, able to wait a bit longer before replacing it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I guess that's the point...I'm only somewhat happy with the set now. The DLP has good motion without the pixel-smearing of LED LCD sets but has crummy contrast, is only 720P, and is a big box that has to sit on a piece of furniture. I could buy a 55" Sharp LED 1080P set for $600 as a replacement, and wait a few years for the 4K OLED sets to become cheap.

Maybe I also feel bad about not knowing someone in financial stress who would like a free set. If someone like Best Buy picks it up they will simply junk it.

At 10 years of age this is the longest period of time I've owned a TV set.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could always call a local church/synagogue and ask if they would like it for their use(you can specify they keep it)...

Feel good...and excuse for a new one...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dennis Nicholls said:
I guess that's the point...I'm only somewhat happy with the set now. The DLP has good motion without the pixel-smearing of LED LCD sets but has crummy contrast, is only 720P, and is a big box that has to sit on a piece of furniture. I could buy a 55" Sharp LED 1080P set for $600 as a replacement, and wait a few years for the 4K OLED sets to become cheap.

Maybe I also feel bad about not knowing someone in financial stress who would like a free set. If someone like Best Buy picks it up they will simply junk it.

At 10 years of age this is the longest period of time I've owned a TV set.
Dennis,

Then I would replace it if you can do so with a reasonably priced replacement that will enhance your viewing experience while still being able to purchase an upgrade when the 4K OLED sets becomes more affordable.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I ended up replacing the set with a cheap Sharp LC-55LE653U 1080P set.

Even with the new bulb in place the old DLP RP had marginal PQ. The old bulb on close examination had cast a yellowish film on the glass plate - this kind of bulb has an enclosed source, reflector, but then it passes through a glass plate open to the air on both sides. The new set is a great improvement.

Sadly nobody wanted the old set and BB just hauled it away for recycling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks