What's new

Do I need special center channel speakers (1 Viewer)

markrussell51

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Russell
I am looking at replacing my current speaker setup. My system supports Dolby Digital 5.1. I plan to have a center channel speaker. I have one store that tells me to purchase a special speaker designed to be a center channel speaker, and another that says my center channel speaker can be the same as my 2 front channel speakers. Is there a difference?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
The only "special" thing about centers...they are traditionally MTM...

That's "midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer," Mark.

I like to translate for Sam when I can. :biggrin:

All right, I admit it...I had to look it up. I didn't THINK he meant Mary Tyler Moore or Monster Truck Madness. :laugh:

markrussell51

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Russell
OK, so dumbing it down for the non-audiophiles...is it worth having a designated MTM speaker for the center channel or is using the same speaker that matches the 2 front speakers OK? We do have trouble with the dialogue from the current set-up and am looking for the best solution to resolve the issue. I now realize that this system will allow me to boost the center channel, however we want to solve the problem. We moved and inherited this speaker setup and need to upgrade it so we are replacing the speakers anyway. One store (big box) says MTM speaker, and one store (local guy) says just match the 2 front speakers.

Thanks for the welcome and nice emoticons.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
A lot of die-hards like to have the same speakers for the front (and even all around); it eliminates any sonic difference in the front channel. On the other hand, a good center channel will (intentionally) have a wider sweet spot. So if you have a room where people will typically be off-center, then a true center channel might be a good idea.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I have one store that tells me to purchase a special speaker designed to be a center channel speaker, and another that says my center channel speaker can be the same as my 2 front channel speakers. Is there a difference?

Can’t say for sure, since you didn’t tell us what your two front channel speakers are. Some HT speakers are designed as MTM, so in that case the front L/R would be identical to the center channel.

Timbre matching is always desirable, so it’s best to get a center channel that matches at least your front L/R speakers, if not the entire set. Most major speaker manufacturers do offer matching center channel speakers for the different speaker series in their line-ups.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks