What's new

Will you be shooting primarily with mirrorless cameras within the next 5 years? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if folks here are looking to toss in the towel on dSLRs and going with the lighter-weight mirrorless camera bodies/systems within the next 5 years.

I don't know, but probably not for me. To me, it's not as much about the weight of the mirrorless system/ecosystem, it's more about lighting, so I just don't see myself shifting over. Plus, the ergonomics of the smaller camera bodies isn't as attractice to me, I like knowing I'm holding something substantial while shooting photos.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am of a similar mindset, Patrick. When you start looking at full frame mirrorless, the lenses are still quite large so there is little size advantage. I have a lot of money invested in my dSLR setup, and really like the ergonomics of those camera bodies. The only downside is when I need to bring most of my kit along -- the backpack can get a little heavy with two camera bodies and three different zoom lenses.

I see mirrorless as more of a complement to the dSLR for me. I have a compact Canon mirrorless camera available to me for certain occasions when I want to travel really light. The ergonomics are nowhere as nice as my dSLRs, but I can slip it in my pocket or attach it to my belt, which is handy for times I want a camera when out with friends or riding our bicycles.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'll be sticking with an SLR (do we really need to specify the "d" anymore?) for a long while. The complementary camera is more subject to variation as the technology keeps improving for packing larger sensors in smaller bodies. My main stipulation is that whatever my compact or mirrorless device is that it not be another interchangeable lens system. The EOS M is sort of in that gray area, but I'm not sold on the ergonomics of putting a big lens on a small body, which is why I haven't gone that route.

It's getting long in the tooth, but as far as compact cameras go, I've been quite pleased with the Olympus XZ-1. It has basically helped me establish that whatever replaces it will need to have a fast lens, no more than 1.33 stops shift to the maximum the zoom, and of course shoot RAW. Increasing sensor size is sort of a given as time goes by, so I expect things to just keep getting better. The SLR will still get used, but more so for special circumstances that really push the limits (e.g. concert photography, shooting kids / sports).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cameron,

I have not bought the adapter to attach my Canon EF lenses to the EOS M body, as I haven't seen the need to use my large lenses on a small mirrorless body -- it does defeat one of the main purposes for the camera. I have just invested in two EF-M lenses -- the 22mm f/2 pancake that came with the body (a terrific lens) and I bought a 18-55mm STM kit lens for it cheap just to have a general purpose lens. I cannot see adding anything else, unless I can eventually find a EF-M 11-22mm really cheap. It is nice being able to use my Canon external flash on the EOS M, though.

The EOS M with the pancake lens mounted is not much bigger than my wife's Canon S120 compact point & shoot, so having the flexibility to swap lenses in such as small package and still have a larger APS-C sensor works well for me.

I am not sure where Canon is going in the mirrorless market, so I am reluctant to spend much money on their solution. The M was bought at a fire sale price -- with some Amazon credits applied I only have a little over $200 invested in the platform. I'm sure I could sell the entire kit for almost that if I eventually decide to buy into a different mirrorless platform. At the original prices that the M was going for, I never would have purchased one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I mainly brought this up because I know of a good tog who's chucked away all his Canon gear and went totally mirrorless, mainly the Fuji system.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
A friend of mine got married last month and the wedding photographer was shooting with a Fuji XT-1 most of the time. That kind of surprised me, but whatever works I guess.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have read some good things about the Fuji cameras. I do not know what types of lenses are available for the system, though. Usually these systems are lacking in the longer telephoto range, which I need for wildlife.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
BOTH for the forseeable future. Nikon D4 for most everything, especially low light and action, and Alpha 6000 for sneak it in opportunities, and much iPhone photography too.

I reaaallly want to try the next revision of the Sony A7S when it gets refreshed with 5 axis VR.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Lemme know when the M3's are down to a nice fire sale price of $299 again... :D

But still a decent set of features, probably $200 too much, though, MSRP-wise.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
Lemme know when the M3's are down to a nice fire sale price of $299 again... :D

But still a decent set of features, probably $200 too much, though, MSRP-wise.

I really like my original EOS M, and am intrigued by the M3. However, Patrick, I agree that the price is too high right now. When it eventually drops to about half its current price, I may upgrade.

Cameron Yee said:
The EOS M3 is coming to the States and sounds much improved from past versions. It's tempting, but given my no interchangeable lens rule, I'd have to reject it outright or find a way to never take the kit lens off. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/27/canon-eos-m3/

I find the interchangeable lenses to be a benefit, not a detriment. I only have two lenses -- the 22mm f/2 pancake that came with the camera, and the EF-M 18-55mm IS lens that I picked up cheap for about $100. With the pancake lens attached, the camera will easily slip into a pocket in cargo shorts/pants. Using the Spider Black Widow holster attached to my pants belt, I do not even feel the camera + 18-55mm lens at my waist.

We just returned from Yellowstone, where I used my M1 along with my 5D3 and 7D2 SLR bodies. The M came in handy when I only wanted to carry one bigger body, yet have another focal length handy. So, I used it at times when walking around with either my 5D3 + 16-35 f/4 (giving my ultra wide angle to short telephoto around some of the geothermal areas) or my 7D2 + 100-400L II (giving me wide angle to long telephoto when looking for wildlife, but still being able to take some landscapes).

My biggest complaint about the original M is no viewfinder, and the M3 has an optional EVF. I find it very difficult to shoot landscapes outdoors with the rear LCD screen, as it can be quite difficult to see in the sunlight. It was very freeing, though, to hike to the top of Mount Washburn with just the M + 18-55 lens this time. On previous trips, I have lugged my SLR plus a couple of lenses to the 10,243 foot peak, which is a 6 mile round trip hike with approximately 1,800 feet of elevation change from the bottom of the trail to the mountain top.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sam Posten said:
I reaaallly want to try the next revision of the Sony A7S when it gets refreshed with 5 axis VR.

Sam, I used to work for Minolta, which eventually evolved into Sony. I know people who are still there and they seem pretty excited about the new A7RII, or whatever it is. I've seen some extremely high ISO stuff that's pretty impressive. I'm sure I'll have the chance to see it in person soon. I'm not interested in these small bodies. My D7100 is minimally sized for me as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks