What's new

Hooking up surround sound system with projector? (1 Viewer)

roundeye

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
Im looking at getting a projector since my tv went out and want to run my directv,xbox,and dvd player to projector and my samsung theatre system for sound. My home theatre system in a box only has one hdmi output. So can I run a hdmi switch box to make everything work or would it be easier,better to just go get a stand alone reciever and use the speakers from my current surround system? The projector has 2 hdmi inputs.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
You could simply run HDMI cables from your directv, Xbox and DVD player into the Samsung inputs and output them through the HDMI out of the Samsung to the HDMI INOUT of your projector. . If your Samsung cannot accommodate the 3 sources, you would then need an HDMI switcher. Best of luck!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Really, neither of the options you suggest are very good options.

A projector should not serve as the hub of any home theater system (really, even a TV should not serve as the hub if you care at all about getting surround sound from all of your sources).

You have 3 sources capable of surround sound, you need an AV Receiver. A real one, not a budget HTiB system. Furthermore, the speakers that came with your HTiB system, can't simply be hooked up to a real receiver. They are almost certainly low impedance speakers that will likely cause permanent damage to a real AVR if you used them.

You need to determine a budget for a new audio system. A pre-packaged system (like a HTiB but using a real AVR and speakers) is the least expensive way to upgrade. There are good refurb systems from Accessories4Less starting at around $400.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks