What's new

3D Watching 3-D Movies Makes You More Intelligent (1 Viewer)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Watching 3D Movies Makes You More Intelligent

Neuroscientist Patrick Fagan, an Associate Lecturer at Goldsmiths, and artist Brendan Walker of Thrill Laboratory have revealed watching films in 3D sharpen the brain for a protracted period. The research, in which over 100 people were exposed to stereoscopic 3D and standard format films at Vue’s Piccadilly cinema, found participants experienced a 23 per cent increase in cognitive processing - and reaction times were improved by a whopping 11 per cent.

I always knew I was doing my body good watching 3-D films. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is awesome - I think I'm going to have to share this with everyone I've ever dragged to a 3D movie!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Is this kind of like playing video games help reactions... or even better, helps do different things with each arm? I use the keyboard for movement, mouse for shooting etc... I know it's helped me.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Josh Steinberg said:
This is awesome - I think I'm going to have to share this with everyone I've ever dragged to a 3D movie!
One scientist's theory does not mean anything. Under 5 year old's should never watch 3-D films and those under 12 should limit their viewing. Their brains can be permanently damaged as they are still in development. This could also be why Disney no longer release their films in 3-D on bluray? This has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
cinemiracle said:
One scientist's theory does not mean anything. Under 5 year old's should never watch 3-D films and those under 12 should limit their viewing. Their brains can be permanently damaged as they are still in development. This could also be why Disney no longer release their films in 3-D on bluray? This has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum.
Interesting, please provide links to peer-reviewed studies confirming your assertions in the second and third sentence.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Peter Apruzzese said:
Interesting, please provide links to peer-reviewed studies confirming your assertions in the second and third sentence.

I always assume that's just the precautionary principle gone mad. It's like any number of warnings you find on products nowadays. The main reason is to pre-empt lawsuits.

If there's any solid evidence for it, I've yet to come across it. If anything it would seem more unnatural to be focusing the eyes on flat images. We live in a three-dimensional world.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I don't know about "more intelligent". But my postings on the forum have increased substantially since 2011 when I first got into 3D TV. So that may be another side effect that needs some study.

One thing's for sure, it hasn't cured my snoring! :3dglasses:

Real Name
Thomas
cinemiracle said:
3D has not been found detrimental to any age and is recommended for anyone with binocular vision, including 3-year-olds. See the FAQ at the American Optometric Association website.

http://www.3deyehealth.org/faq.html

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
BleedOrange11 said:
3D has not been found detrimental to any age and is recommended for anyone with binocular vision, including 3-year-olds. See the FAQ at the American Optometric Association website.

http://www.3deyehealth.org/faq.html
The American Optometric Association is but one of thousands of similar organisations around the world .Who is to say that they ,and no one else, are correct in their assumptions?

Real Name
Thomas
cinemiracle said:
The American Optometric Association is but one of thousands of similar organisations around the world .Who is to say that they ,and no one else, are correct in their assumptions?
There is no mechanism for stereoscopic 3D to damage the brain. All it does is provide a separate 2D image to each eye, which allows humans with developed binocular vision to fuse the images in their brain and "see" stereo depth. Children of approximately age 3 have this ability. If one does not have binocular vision, he will see a blurry image and it will cause some innocent but uncomfortable eye strain/headache due to muscle fatigue (In this case, he should see an eye health professional for an exam to check for underlying issues.). If one can see stereo 3D properly with no negative symptoms, there is no medical reason to withhold it from him, regardless of age.

Stereo 3D can actually be used to diagnose and TREAT amblyopia in young children.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
cinemiracle said:
I'm fairly certain their position isn't based on 'assumptions.' And the AOA has been around since 1898 and represents over 37,000 optometrists and others,

Here are two other sources that have the same conclusions:

http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/living/3-d-movies-glasses.cfm

http://news.psu.edu/story/273647/2013/04/17/medical-minute-are-3d-movies-and-games-bad-your-eyes

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I remember taking those same tests years ago, with the exact same results -- I think the movie playing was "Swinging Stewardesses" or something....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks