What's new

3D THE MAZE (1 Viewer)

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I saw THE MAZE on local TV in the 1960s, and at my tender age the ending made me sit up and take notice. I had not seen it since, but finally found it streaming on Amazon Prime (in 2D). I was naturally not as impressed at age 62, but I still found the framing and stage setups quite intriguing thanks to W.C. Menzies' individual style. I kept imaging how much better the film would look in its original 3D.

Does anyone know who has the rights to the film these days? As I understand it AA still exists as a company.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
I would gladly purchase this title in a well done 2D or of course better in 3D....I purchased a copy in non-domestic release.....disc is not very well done AT ALL! Darn!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Probably because they don't have existing HD masters and nobody wants to pay to create them, either flat or 3-D.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I don't want you to think we're asleep at the wheel.

We tried to license this title last year. We were told the rate was $35K for a five year Blu-ray license and that did not include the approximate $15 to $20K cost of 4K transfers and 3-D restoration.

Needless to say, nothing came of it!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Bob Furmanek said:

We tried to license this title last year. We were told the rate was $35K for a five year Blu-ray license and that did not include the approximate $15 to $20K cost of 4K transfers and 3-D restoration.

If Paramount wants this much money for each individual title, then perhaps they'd be better off considering bulk licensing of their 3D titles for box sets. I doubt they'll ever acquire that much for each title alone.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Bob Furmanek said:

You'd think they'd at least allow you to offset the cost of creating the master against the licensing cost. Once that's done, they'd have something they can screen forever after, on tv, netflix, whatever. Sounds like unless it's easy money up front and lots of it, they're not interested.

The $35k figure might make sense for some titles, but niche and obscure titles will remain forever vaulted with that attitude.

These studios should really take more responsibility in their duty as cultural custodians.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Movie execs really don't live in the same world as everyone else. Any normal businessman would negotiate a much lower fee in the hope of gaining more business. I guess the movie business isn't normal.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I suggested that we would be creating a 3-D master that would then be a new asset to the company but unless we had deep pockets that were talking, there was no interest.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:

So, if it cost you $50K and you make $10 on each blu-ray, 5000 copies would need to be sold to break even.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
RolandL said:
So, if it cost you $50K and you make $10 on each blu-ray, 5000 copies would need to be sold to break even.

well, anyone care to take that gamble? Anyone got a spare $50k lying around that they don't mind if they never see it again?

Seems like the only way some of these films will see the light of day is via the patronage of some wealthy benefactors.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What seems to be gaining in online popularity is the "KIck-starter" concept for raising money. But I'm guessing there are not enough classic 3-D aficionados for that to be a viable option with this title...?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Kickstarter campaigns are the super slo-mo version of the pre-order. Instead of the couple months it takes for a pre-order, it could be 1 year or more before the goods arrive.

I have no interest in a kickstarter campaign for one vintage 3D title. It would have to be a big box set for me to wait that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks