What's new

Veep - Season 4 (HBO) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Starts Sunday night, so figured I'd get the thread going:

I laughed at least five times in one-and-a-half minutes. That's more than around 95% of the 90-minute-plus comedy movies I've watched. Loved that Cast Away reference. Plus great to see Hugh Laurie in the middle of everything.

Bad news, though? Iannucci is leaving after this season:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/veep-creator-armando-iannucci-depart-787794

On the one hand, boooooo.

On the other hand, it's about time that insane genius set off to create something new.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"It smells like Puerto Rico in here."

"...I'm juicing."

"I don't like to swear, guys, but the S is about to hit the F."

"The shit is about to hit the fuck?"

"Whole cities of children were going to be saved from poverty. Instead now, that money is going to fund obsolete giant metal dildoes."

Very strong start to the season. I actually felt sorry for Jonah this episode...getting sexually assaulted by Patton Oswalt, and then turning out to be the least-obnoxious person in the entire Eisenhower Building.

For a minute there, I thought Furlong was the new Veep, and I genuinely feared for this alternate-reality America.

Also, poor Gary. ("Are you sure you wouldn't be more comfortable at the book-depository next door?")

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Amy getting called "Elsa the Ice Queen" was definitely one of the biggest laughs of the night. As was her "We may as well have an anti-unicorn strategy!" line.

Patton Oswalt showing up during a show's fourth season always tends to produce amazing results. His scene in the hallway was an awesome case of a Napoleon complex, showing off alpha-dominance, but maybe it's also because it was directed against Jonah, He Who Makes the Pimps Cry. Loved the way Patton blocked the lift immediately afterward. Teddy Sykes is gonna be another all-star character on this show, no question.

Mike labelling his files for Selina's speech "Mike11A1" and "Mike11A11" made absolute perfect sense for his character.

Plus, this:

"There are a million young women around here, and they all look exactly the same to me."

"...You big lady-racist."

Simon Massey said:
The only unthinkable thing is that anything is unthinkable :)

"Kent majored in fortune-cookies."

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It was a great first episode. However I think they made a big mistake starting with everyone in place in their new positions. It would have been a great episode to show them on their very first day adjusting to all the new environment and protocols. It's a great missed opportunity. I'm amazed why they didn't do it. It's a no-brainer, they had to do it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So, so much epically-quotable dialogue tonight:

"Oh, can't she just call in?? I feel like I'm on trial in the future."

"Which Scorsese film?"
"I dunno...he's gotta have a new one dropping soon. He's prolific."

"Who knew they made lamp-shades out of unobtainium?"

"How much has he spent?"
"Well, imagine Elton John on a day he feels fat..."

"Tap tappy tap-tap."

If Patton Oswalt continues to touch Timothy Simons's penis in every episode, that will be one of the funniest, most surreal running jokes on all of television.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This line is so simple, it's brilliant:

"Man up, Gary. Or at least lady-down a little."

Loved the return of Season 1's hilarious assholes (Purcell, the Beltway Butcher). But there's no way to top Purcell's, "I don't have any kids. I have a niece, but I…fucking hate her."

"Well, as my grandfather never said: 'Let's go be inclusive'."

I'm totally gonna start using the phrase, "What the pixellated fuck?!"

It wasn't just me, right, but was Selina high on coke during this episode? She is constantly high-energy, slipping off to the bathroom, she isn't hungry, and if you notice, she rubs her nose throughout the episode. Could they be setting this up for later in the season?

The most obvious bit is when she makes the joke about "needing a little more toothpaste" for staying another day. Maybe this has to do with the mysterious "Labor Day incident" with Gary?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There were deliberate signs that she on something, but for some reason I never made the obvious connection to the booger sugar. I was thinking "diet pills".

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Uh, sir...Freddie Wallace, may I use the term 'LGBT'? I remember it this way: 'L' is for ladies who play tennis, 'G' is for guys who do other guys, 'B' is for bisexual; I couldn't think of one to go for that, and 'T' is for..."

"Tucking it in, or tacking it on."

"It's 'transgender,' actually."

"Thanks for killing my joke, and then mutilating it."

Amy's reaction to the new strategist was hilarious. At the end, when Selina asked if they had met, the face that Anna Chlumsky made when she touched her arm had me dying.

And holy shit, do I hate this new lady already (as I'm supposed to in the context of the show, I believe, as her performance is great). Massive douche chills on her specialty being "common sense." This is Chris Meloni with fewer muscles in a wig.

Hanson said:
There were deliberate signs that she on something, but for some reason I never made the obvious connection to the booger sugar. I was thinking "diet pills".

True, and we do know from the Helsinki-episode that Gary has some drugs stashed in the Leviathan:

"I need Ambien. What? This is Cipro; I don't have a urinary tract infection!"

There's definitely a certain level of job-pressure and required hours where I'm more surprised to learn someone isn't abusing prescription drugs some of the time. And POTUS is certainly pretty far over that line.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
"Wow, dead kids! That never sounds good unless you're a stressed out single mom!"

"Death row! You think they could do that right..the clue is in the name"

"I remember being so excited to have a mania named after me."

"Sir, everything I have done, everything has been to serve you. And that goes double for fondling Jonah"

"Im an Ameri-CAN"

:)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"It's like Christmas, except happy."

"You are the worst thing that has happened to this country since food in buckets, and maybe slavery."

"Well, listen, Dan here is the man. He's fresh from the White House, and he's got a Rolodex as crammed as a drug mule's poop-pocket."

"What did I do in a past life to deserve Karen?"
"I think you must've given the go-ahead for Pearl Harbor."

"I understand you've been twirling Jonah's balls like they're some kind of exotic stress-reducer."

"Well, he's completely inept, right? But you can make inept work."
*the camera shows Mike*

There's so much awesome in this episode, but one subtle thing that had me rolling. Check out Selina's smile/smirk when Ben reveals there's a sexual abuse scandal involving Jonah. She was already thrilled she could get a new Veep, but having Jonah being the molestee in the scandal seemed to be the cherry on top.

I was thrilled when Ben ethered/woodshedded Karen. Not Lennon Parham's fault, the character was just a means to an end. (Actually, maybe my joy is a good sign of how effectively annoying she was.)

I'm hoping Iannucci is leading up to a version of the opposition-flip he did in The Thick of It. If Amy, Dan, and even Jonah or Teddy end up working for Selina's opponent in the general election, then that would be freaking epic.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This was the best episode of season 4. It had so many good moments. Did Anna Chlumsky (Amy) leave the show for good? I liked her.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The new episode 4x07 Mommy Meyer was another hilarious episode. As good as 4x05 Convention. These 2 episodes are the best of this season so far.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
"Get Mike to draft a statement...he's got a "thoughts and prayers" template."

"Do me a favour, go and see Linda over there - she has some slightly tighter blouses that you can choose from."

"Why isn't there an elevator to a secret bunker?"

"I cannot believe that someone came here to kill me.....and you!"

"Words don't kill people...unlike guns...which can...and did...which is bad...so bad. I could go on..."

"You might be the smartest woman I have ever paid for."

"It's like they took the word brain tumour and changed it to Selina cyst."

"Construction brings builders...builders bring sex workers....sex workers bring STDs" "A virtuous circle"

Probably one of the best seasons so far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks