What's new

Hannibal Season 3 - Guillermo del Toro To Direct An Episode! (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Whoa! Guillermo del Toro to Helm A Hannibal!!!!!!!!

From Shock Till You Drop.

More directorial excitement for the upcoming third season of Hannibal has been revealed. Lauded fantasy/horror filmmaker Guillermo del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth, this year’sCrimson Peak) will helm one of the three final episodes, ramping anticipation for the Red Dragon-centric season.
Fashion & Style reports the De Laurentiis company newsletter revealed the news that del Toro, Guillermo Navarro and Michael Rymer will direct the final three episodes ofHannibal’s impending season. The three join the previously announced Vincenzo Natali (Splice) and Neil Marshall (The Descent), the latter bearing the honor of introducing Francis Dollarhyde (aka The Tooth Fairy) in Episode 8, titled “The Great Red Dragon.”
Navarro is no stranger to Hannibal, but you also might recognize him as del Toro’s frequent cinematographer, shooting Cronos, The Devil’s Backbone, Pan’s Labyrinthand Pacific Rim to name a few, as well as From Dusk Till Dawn. Similarly, Rymer is a producer and director on Hannibal, most recently directing Season Two’s penultimate “Tome-wan.”
Hannibal returns June 4[SIZE=11.25px]th[/SIZE]. Creator Bryan Fuller recently tweeted Natali-directed season opener, “Antipasto” will take place over four different periods of time. Of course, del Toro’s style is perfect for the lush, violent series, but just watch this Crimson Peak trailer again and imagine how much so.
This is the best show on TV right now IMO.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
giphy.gif

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm guessing someone mixed up Guillermos del toro and Navarro?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While Navarro (alongside Vincenzo Natali) has signed on as a producing director for this season, replacing David Slade, Del Toro was originally supposed to direct the last three episodes. His schedule apparently ultimately did not permit it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So far this season hasn't wowed me. I think it's become too self-indulgent, and I think it's too in love with its title character.

The flashbacks to Eddie Izzard's final weeks with Hannibal were the only redeeming parts of the first episode for me. The return of Kacey Rohl as Abigail Hobbs in the second episode was a welcome reprise of the show's perhaps most intriguing supporting character, even though the reveal that she was a conjuring of Will's imagination was no great surprise.

The biggest problem I have is that the show has become so obsessed with the internal thoughts of Hannibal and Will that it no longer concerns itself much with advancing a plot.

I'm hoping the debut of Tao Okamoto (who was excellent as Logan's love interest in The Wolverine) as Lady Murasaki tonight will inject some much needed life into the show.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I agree Adam. One or two episodes to reset the table for a new season is fine. Three episodes in, it's time to get the story into second gear.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I have to agree also. But, I actually could not finish the second episode. It just got too deep and weird. I'm hoping the third episode is better.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It might be ill advised to keep showing the audience snails when your show is so methodically paced.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just finished the fourth episode. Dang, this season is moving slowly. I feel like what was covered in the fourth episode should have been the season premiere.

I'm judging by the activity here that most people are putting off watching until the season ends. I might do the same myself.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought that was a good finale.

The season definitely started too slowly and was too self indulgent. I felt there was a bit too much "impressionistic imagery" and "inside the head visuals". But I think that things improved significantly several episodes in and I enjoyed the season.

That final confrontation was brutal, and the end seemed quite fitting for the series. Though I was surprised. Even though there were to be no more seasons I thought they'd leave things more open.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
It looks like the network shared our opinion:

Hannibal Cancelled at NBC
Haven't watched this in weeks. I'm finishing up "Falling Skies" and "Dark Matter".

But some of these shows, which weren't all that great to begin with, once their cancellation is announced, I jump ship and stop watching.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Sean Bryan said:
I thought that was a good finale.

The season definitely started too slowly and was too self indulgent. I felt there was a bit too much "impressionistic imagery" and "inside the head visuals". But I think that things improved significantly several episodes in and I enjoyed the season.

That final confrontation was brutal, and the end seemed quite fitting for the series. Though I was surprised. Even though there were to be no more seasons I thought they'd leave things more open.

Did you watch past the closing credits?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Will miss this show - the first half was definitely indulgent (much like the book and film Hannibal) but the Red Dragon adaptation in the second half has been fantastic IMO.

Would love to have seen them tackle Silence of the Lambs but largely a satisfying closure and the best adaptation of all the other Hannibal stories except Silence, which already has a great film to it's name.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Worth said:
Did you watch past the closing credits?
I did.

I thought the implication was that she went insane and was doing that to herself since I didn't think that fall was survivable.

If the implication is that he survived, then cool. Though that's a bit more "fantastic" than I would have expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks