What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Insurgent - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Insurgent" - the 2nd part of the Divergent trilogy features our heroine, Tris, trying to make sense of the aftermath from the first film, and being on the run and in hiding with the compliant Amity group for a while.

It's an odd follow-up, with Tris and 4 looking for forces to overthrow the Erudite faction, but a mysterious box from Tris's mother puts into motion a heightened man-hunt for divergents who might be capable of locking the box's secrets.

I find the mindgames/sims of this series of movies to border on the boring side with a lot of footage feeling like watching "tests" play out on a holodeck of sorts, and it doesn't quite capture my imagination nor hold my attention for long.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I thought the first movie in the series was underappreciated. The lead female is an appealing character, and the story and action moved along nicely.

I saw "Divergent" the other day (in 3D) and was less happy this time around. The plot seemed jerky, "insurgents" seemed to appear out of nowhere to save the day any time the lead characters were in hot water, and there really was no need for the 3D glasses as none of the scenes really took advantage of it.

Overall, I'm not too keen on seeing a sequel. 2/5 stars.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
steve jaros said:
Overall, I'm not too keen on seeing a sequel. 2/5 stars.

I don't think ANYONE was keen on seeing a sequel, but it's become a sort of nerdy peer-pressure for YA publisher-deals who don't score with their first movie--

Everybody wants to be Hunger Games, but nobody wants to end up like Percy Jackson, which is why even the Maze Runner "series" had to squeeze out another one.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
If anyone's read the novels, does her character actively go out and get an unappealing lesbian haircut in the second one? If not, what's the deal with this? Did Lionsgate freak when Woodley showed up on set with this monstrosity that's way shorter than her stylin' 1984 Jeff Bridges 'do in Fault in Our Stars?

Clearly it's related to Shailene's whole switchup to her new, "look at me I'm so weird and arty and bisexual and I ate clay!" post-Descendents persona, but it's the equivalent of Mark Hamill rolling onto the set of Empire sporting a Mohawk and a prison teardrop-tattoo just 'cause he could. Nobody could've thrown a horrible wig on her?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks