I Am Number Four - quick review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The film has a somewhat decent premise, (where 9 alien kids from another planets, along with an assigned protector, are hiding out on earth on various continents far apart from one another. One by one, the children are being hunted down by another race from their planet to exterminate them, and their bloodline, which passes down powers, or legacies, from parent to child), though just bits of the alien kids backstory is hinted at here and there.

The first 2 acts provide some introduction to Number 4, as the first 3 have been terminated, so #4 and his protector go on the run, and end up in Ohio. The opening and middle acts are pretty much by-the-book, and uninspired teenage high school drama, but the final act delivers quite a lot of action and use of powers in a showdown between him, his new friends, and the bad guys.

As a set-up for a franchise of such films, I just don't know if we'll see another follow-up due to box office performance. Time will tell.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The background on the book is pretty interesting, coming from James Frey and his questionable writer subcontracting.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
  4. Don Solosan

Don Solosan Supporting Actor

If I had known that James Frey was involved, I wouldn't have gone to see it. As it is, it's a mish-mash of elements borrowed from other fantasy/teen stories. The best thing about it, in my opinion, are the bad aliens, who are very goofy and fun.

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

A Shit film that should be avoided. Worth walking out on if you didn't know any better.

Fucking horrible!

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'd reserved those words for the truly horrific: Big Momma 3

7. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

It wasn't that bad, but yeah it had it's moments. I wouldn't recommend it at this point either lol.

8. lucas27

lucas27 Auditioning

9. monikaz1

monikaz1 Auditioning

10. monikaz1

monikaz1 Auditioning

11. HollywoodSteve

HollywoodSteve Auditioning

I didn't think it was that bad, the reason being is that it is quite straight forward, and easy to follow. I don't mean that as a reason in itself, but when we we are inundated with movies that make NO sense (the Pirates movies, Transformers, etc.) it's kinda nice to see a movie that has a beginning, middle and an open end. For the sequel that won't come, but still.

I am gonna check it out again next week when it comes out on demand. I think DirecTV will have it. Probably all the others too. Worth a watch. Dianna Agron, just sayin'!

12. music613

music613 Extra

I'd call this a good looking, reasonably well made if pedestrian variation on familiar themes. Don't be too hard on it - it doesn't aim to be anything more than your basic popcorn film - and if you can approach it that way then it fulfills its mission. Clich├ęs? Well, what do you expect from our genuine rank junk culture, anyway? Profundity? Insight? Deep thinking? David Mamet? Eugene Ionesco? Ray Bradbury? Robert Heinlein? Isaac Asimov? Set up for a continuation? Of course - and how many other sci-fi and fantasy films of late have done the same thing?