What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Class of 1984 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

There are certain things that take me out of a film.

Earllier, I was previewing Thunder Road, and the first glimpse of Robert Mitchum, has him driving while turned totally to the rear -- for about four or five seconds -- a seeming eternity.

People driving and chatting with someone sitting next to them or behind them.  Missing rear view mirrors...

I feel the same way about high school dramas with all of the lead students in their 20s.

For those unexposed to Mark Lester's 1982 high school revenge drama, it was shot in Toronto, and features a young Michael Fox, with Tim van Patten and Perry King in the leads.  Mr. Van Patten has gone on to become one of the most prolific and desired television directors.

Balancing somewhere between West Side Story and a Troma production the low-budget production holds its own and still entertains.  Possibly a function of the story and screenplay by Tom Holland.

The new Blu-ray, from Scream Factory  has some quality additional content, and looks and sounds fine.  A bit of element damage, but nothing untoward, it works in HD.

Color is fine, as is shadow detail.  What appears to be a nice second generation grain structure is present.

All in all, a quality offering from Scream Factory.

Image - 4.0

Audio - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It ain't art but I love this movie so it's good to hear that it's been done right. Thanks for the review!

Robert Harris said:
Mr. Van Patten has gone on to become one of the most prolific and desired television directors.
Yeah, I'd even go so far as to say that he's the best TV director working today. The work he did on Boardwalk Empire was peerless.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert Harris said:
Mr. Van Patten has gone on to become one of the most prolific and desired television directors.

I met him while he was directing some of the third season episodes of "The Sopranos" - really nice guy, I thought it was cool that he was willing and able to take a couple minutes to talk to a newbie intern about directing.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
This movie is a guilty pleasure, and I look forward to seeing it in HD.

And I agree with TravisR's sentiment regarding Tim Van Patten's work on Boardwalk Empire.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Vincent is actually Tim's nephew. Tim is the half-brother of Dick and Joyce Van Patten; Vincent is Dick's son.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
This film has some first class action scenes/stunt work by Terry Leonard, who worked on Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
TravisR said:
If you're a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan, you might remember Tim as the star of Master Ninja I and Master Ninja II.

As a confirmed MSTie, this is where I met Mr. Van Patten. Who could forget Max, with his van and pet hamster?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks